Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi Mike, Over the course of my computer problems, you have

Hi Mike,
Over the course of my computer problems, you have asked me to Repair permissions. Is this something I should do regularly, even if having no problems? If so, can you refresh me on how to do it? On MacBookPro 10.6.8
Yes you should do this on a regular basis, once a week or every other week would be good:

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What exactly does that procedure do? Is it sort of like a little Saturday cleaning at home?

MacOS X is based in UNIX and every file has certain permissions. Keeps the security high among other things. I'n not that smart but there are good reasons. LOL