Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

Can I view Microsoft Office Identity file in outlook, word

Can I view Microsoft Office Identity file in outlook, word or other user friendly format?
I've located and preserved my Office 2011 Identities folder that has 74 gigs in it.

Problem: My mac air has problems and it's going to be replaced by Apple. I'm scared to wipe it if I don't know what's in those identities. I'm concerned because Exchange "lost" months of my emails and they might be in there.
Or if there's anything else there of value.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Brandon M. :

There is no user-friendly way of viewing the contents as they are encrypted. However, if Apple is replacing the computer, copy these identities over to an external drive so you can copy them back to the replacement computer after you install Office. You can then choose the identity(ies) you want to view when you open Outlook with the Option key held.

Customer:

So does that mean I can view them also before I send back the computer?

Customer:

I'm guessing I should turn off the internet connection so no accidental synching happens.

Brandon M. :

Of course. Just copy over the identity from inside the Office 2011 Identities folder to the current one (In Documents). If you hold down Option while opening Outlook, you will be given the database utility. You can set your default identity and see what is in the file.

Brandon M. :

Might be a good idea so it doesn't try to download any new emails or delete them

Customer:

ok, so the problem is that I don't have enough memory left on the macbook air to copy it. I'm at 251 of 250 gigs. In case my original backup of the whole computer didn't work (which I fear it did not), I'm right now using "super duper" to copy over all the "all my files" to an external. that should free up a ton.

Customer:

I've never used that program before, though. Do you have feelings about it?

Brandon M. :

Super duper? I've heard of it, though I have never used it. I've heard good things about it, though.

Brandon M. :

You can also use the built-in Time Machine feature of Mac OS X

Brandon M. :

Are you still around?

Customer:

hi. got called out. you still here?

Brandon M. :

Yes, I am

Customer:

Ok, so I think i'll try what you say before I send it back. That's helpful. No one was able to answer that question!

Customer:

I have a couple more, but I'll end the chat and open to you with a new question so you get the credit.

Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm