Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I still use my 4.1 version on my MAC. For some reason I cant get the

Customer Question

I still use my 4.1 version on my MAC. For some reason I can't get the application to recognize my chapters I typed. I reinstalled QuarkXPress 4.1 on my computer which has 9.2 and I can't get it to open any of my previous work. What could be the trouble?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

May I ask if this is a new install or has it worked in the past?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has worked in the past, and it is a new install. It never ask for my application number though and I wondered why. There is two copies of the QuarkXPress on there now.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The program is on another one of my computes not this one. So that may not help.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you wish to go to the problem computer and allow me to remote in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have it hooked to the internet.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

Do you wish to connect it to the Internet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

So the problem computer is not able to access the Internet. Are you able to open the document on any other computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I have tried it on another one, with the same results. When I click on one of the chapters, it asks for an application, so I find QuarkXPress application and nothing happens. And if I Open QuarkXPress and go to "Open" and find my Chapters, they are grayed out and not accessible.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When it asks for the chapter, what is the exact message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I go to file - open - and go to the folder with the chapters, all it brings up is Resourse.frk and none of the chapters are showing . But they actually are in that folder.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay.

So the chapters are no longer there.

When was the last time that you were able to access them?

Are you sure you are looking in the correct folder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The chapters are there, I can see them. I haven't tried to open them for a couple of years, as I just retired from teaching and now have time to finish my book. Yes, I am sure I am looking at the correct folder.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did notice the files are about 60 KB each and have UNIX.ble...file at the end. Why would they be a Unix file? I have never had another computer but the Mac?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess we never got this resolved.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Would it be possible for you to connect that computer to the Internet temporarily so I can remote in and fix it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since we never got this resolved, please reverse the $58 charge.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.