John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Hi! My Macbook Pro early 2011 says camera not connected. i

Hi! My Macbook Pro early 2011 says camera not connected. i tried smc reset, tried other applications and still nothing, any help?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

I have Version 10.8.4. Thanks!

Thanks, Mia!

I understand you've reset the SMC for this MacBook... have you tried resetting the PRAM, as well?

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally.

Check the camera.

If it still doesn't work, test to see if you still get an error in Safe Boot mode:

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop.

Check your camera.

Restart once more and check a final time, then report back with results.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought I did the PRAM resetting but after reading your instructions I did something different. I will try that now. and let you know. Thanks so much for your time John!

You are very welcome and good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

I tried PRAM and safe boot and no luck! I also restarted computer an extra 2 times. I've deleted files that i read could block the camera, and still nada!

Okay, that's unfortunate.

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” key at boot and select the “Recovery HD" option in the menu.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop. Try the Camera.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still nothing!! Am i out of options? Thanks again!

Okay, we are running short on user repairable options, I'm afraid.

There are two left;
The first is rather remote but... if you have Adobe Flash Player installed, make sure it is the latest version. This has been known to cause camera issues:

The second option: In the previous Recovery system that you booted into, you do have the option to re-install OS X. This should preserve user settings but may be something you wish to try.

However, failing that I'm afraid that my final answer would be that this is a physical defect rather than a software one given the steps we've taken so far to isolate a fault.

When troubleshooting hardware issues sometimes, such as in this case, the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger. Smile

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

Thank you again for your help, I pretty much knew I had to take it in for a repair but I guess my stubbornness and laziness prevented me! I do appreciate your taking the time to help.

You are very welcome, Mia! I completely understand, I would go through every option I could before dealing with that myself just on the off chance I trip over a simple fix.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page: