James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

the multi colored spinning wheel often shows up on my screen

the multi colored spinning wheel often shows up on my screen stopping my use of the computer.
is there a way to stop this ?

Mac Keeper will actually slow down your computer in this case, I'd recommend you remove it promptly.

Can you tell me how old the computer is?
Do you happen to know how much memory it has?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

purchased in 02/2008

Thank you.

Please click the Apple icon on the top left.
Click About this Mac.

Can you tell me what it says about "RAM" or "Memory" ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

This tells us your computer has very little memory, and this is the reason you are seeing the wheel come up every once in a while.
Because your computer exhausts the available memory, it has to send memory pages to the hard drive, and then read them back when it needs them - this is a slow process, and this makes the wheel show up.

To make the wheel appear less, you need to run as few programs as possible at the same time. Close (quit or force quit) programs you don't use.

If you want the best solution, you simply need to add more memory to the computer. This involves installing a new memory chip, which will allow your computer to work much faster.
You can do this at any Apple store or any local computer store that services Macs.

I hope this makes sense!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,