John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

My iphone which is connected to AOL for my emails does not

My iphone which is connected to AOL for my emails does not respond.

It says that either my password XXXXX name is incorrect.

I am having the same problem on my computer using internet explorer but not on firefox.

The password XXXXX account has been the same for at least 15 year
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

If you try signing into the AOL Mail website directly are you successful?

http://mail.aol.com/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no

for the forth time

Robert, I'm not sure what you mean by the fourth time, I've only just replied to this question.

However, I'm trying to clarify - you said Internet Explorer does NOT work but you are saying you CAN sign in to the site via Firefox - and to make sure that http://mail.aol.com/ is the site you are using.

I'm just want to make sure the account itself is still functioning properly.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Internet explorer on my PC has the same response wrong name or password. firefox ok

outgoing mail server on phone smpt.aol.com

Okay, let's completely remove and re-add the account on the iPhone.

Open Mail

Click "Mail" in the menu bar and choose "Preferences"

Choose the "Accounts" tab

Select the Account you wish to delete

In the lower left corner of the "Accounts" Preferences window, click the - sign.

graphic

Once the account has been removed, in the lower left corner of the "Accounts" Preferences window, click the + sign.

On the Mac Mail "Add Account" window, type your name in the top box, your complete AOL email address in the middle box (full email address), and your email password XXXXX the last box.

Click "Create".

After a moment or two, the account should be configured and enabled.

If you receive errors when creating the account, double-check your email address and password. If issue remains, reply back for further troubleshooting.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I need to leave for several hours but will get back to you then

Looked for the word preferences on phone but don't see it in settings.

Sorry about that, my fault. I'll leave updated instructions here and you can return to them when convenient.

tap Settings

Scroll down and tap “Mail Contacts, Calendars”.

Select the AOL account you wish to delete.

Then select “Delete Account”. Tap “Delete Account” again to confirm.

Add the account back;

In Settings > “Mail Contacts, Calendars” tap Add Account.

tap AOL

In the boxes provided, enter your name, complete AOL email address, password, and a description of the account.

Once you’ve entered your information, in the top right, tap Next.

After your account has been verified, in the top right, tap Save.

Note: Make sure that the Mail option is turned ON.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I got this far then it says

Cannot get mail

User name or password XXXXX Imap.com is incorrect

I do charge and download photos on my wifes MACBook pro

and she also has an iphone

Can you verify it actually says "imap.aol.com"? Imap.com would be incorrect.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Did the process again and imap.aol.com comes up

looks like it's picking up an apple code

What do you mean by Apple code?

Is the iPhone connected to wi-fi curently or only using the cell connection ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Imap sounds like something that is apple based, just a thought

iphone currently connected to verizon network but stopped working when I went on vacation

imap is the server protocol used and is generally correct for AOL.

Let's try setting it up manually.

This time, when you get to the Add Account screen, choose OTHER instead of AOL.

Use IMAP if given a choice. Use imap.aim.com for incoming server setting and smtp.aim.com for outgoing server setting. Use your complete email address any time a user name is XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Same exact response

How do I make sure the mail option is turned on

If the account set up would complete then that option would appear. Since it doesn't, you never make it that far.

If you visit http://mail.aol.com/ in the Safari browser on the iPhone itself, are you able to sign in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no

Okay,

this is an unusual issue.

Please try logging in and changing your AOL password XXXXX help on the following site;
http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=223103

When completed successfully, try setting up the account on your phone once more:

tap AOL

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

went through it but say safari cannot open page because server cannot be found

didn't get as far as being able to set up the account

Try the above from your computer. Use Firefox since it seems to be working the best for you at this point.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

changed password XXXXX working on explorer

will try phone

Ok, that sounds like a bit of progress.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

tell me again incoming mail host name?

outgoing mail host name?

You can use IMAP if given a choice. Use imap.aim.com or imap.aol.com for incoming server setting and smtp.aim.com or smtp.aol.com for outgoing server setting.

However, this time just trying the automatic setup of choosing AOL should work if the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

looks like i got it or you got it

Thanks it took a while but appears to be working

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

tried to send mail but went to outbox recipient rejected by server because it doesn't allow relaying?

I've sent emails to my wife's account often

will try someone else

Ok, good luck!

If not, how did you set up that account? Using AOL or OTHER under Add Account?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no one works

not sure but probably other

Ok. Delete it and use AOL under Add Account. It sounds as though the authentication settings for Outgoing server are simply set wrong and using AOL should pick the correct options automatically now that the password XXXXX XXXXX

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

done

Ok great!

Please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks I will