Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software

Hi Steve! I spent all day picking out the best photos from

Hi Steve! I spent all day picking out the best photos from two recently uploaded events on iPhoto. I compiled them into an album, and cropped and edited the photos to their ideal state. Going through them one last time, I decided to fiddle with one photo in one of the events, added it to the album, and manually moved it to compare to the other edited version already in the album - which I could not find. I scrolled through a bit, a let go of the mouse. That was when all of the photos except the last added one disappeared, so I did Edit, Undo Move. All that did was leave me with an empty album, and hitting redo left me with, once again, just that last photo. What do I do?? I really do not want to go through all that effort again if I can help it :(

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

I'll be happy to help with this issue - are the Events still showing in iPhoto but just without the pictures?

The first thing I would do would be to take a backup copy of the iPhoto library - this should be under the Pictures Folder-->iPhoto Library.

Once you have a copy of this, we can start iPhoto while holding down the Command & Option keys which will allow some repair options.

HT2638_9.3_rebuild--en.pngBased on the description, Repair Database may be required but let me know exactly what iPhoto is showing at present within the Events.

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response. The original photos and any duplicated, edited ones that I made within the events are there. Unfortunately, after selecting the best photos, I edited the rest of them within the album.

I went to Pictures and tried to make a copy, which is loading now...

Okay I have a copy of the library now. Unfortunately, nothing happens when I open iPhoto while holding Command + Option...Also, once I figure out how to do this repair, what does it entail? Am I risking anything major, aside from losing the photos, which I now have a copy of, I mean.

- Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the info - this is the link to the Apple support page on rebuilding/repairing the iPhoto database.

There should actually be more options than in the original screenshot. I would try the Repair option first (option 1) and then the orphan option (option 5).

With a backup copy of the library there is no risk and it may restore what has been lost.

Let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, this did not restore the missing photos :/ thank you for your time...

No problem - was it the same result with both option 1 and option 5?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I tried them all in the end, just to see if any of them worked. Hopefully doing that at least will prevent future problems!

OK, I will also see if I can come up with any other options.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate that, thank you.

No problem, you're welcome!