Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

When trying to print a page, my MAC Mini shows the message

When trying to print a page, my MAC Mini shows the message "rastertoescpll quit unexpectedly". How do I fix this?
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Ive run into this issue several times this week..

Im going to guess that on your mac mini, you have Mountain Lion 10.8.4 installed.. Is that correct?

If you do, I can assure you that there is a fix to this.. Even though apple will say its a fault with epson drivers, and epson will say there is a fault with apples update.. This is fixable.

I just need you to verify what version of mac osx your running first , and also the specific model of epson printer you have.

Thank you,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dustin,

My operating system is Mac OSX Snow Leopard, and my printer is a an

Epson WP-4530. I hope you can help.

That you have snow Leopard Mike, Should make the issue infinitely easier to repair.

It may take more then one set of steps, it may only take this set of steps..We wont know for sure till we run the first round of repairs.

First, disconnect the printers usb cord.

Then on your mac, lets reset the printing system.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.

Once thats done, reconnect the printers usb cord.. And then click the + or add button on the Print and fax window.

It should see your epson, and all you to install it.. Once installed, you should be able to print.

if you get stuck or run into any issues, or if this doesnt work.. Please send a reply letting me know what happened, so that I can continue to assist you.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dustin,

I must not have done this properly.

I went to the Apple menu and clicked on System preferences; then clicked on Print and Fax. While holding the option button, I clicked on the "minus" sign (key after the zero key, lower case. Then clicked on the key to the right of that (upper case "plus" sign). Nothing happened. What now, Coach?

Thanks,

Instead of holding the Option key.

Lets hold down the Ctrl Key.. ( control ) and ctrl click on the printer name, does that give the option to reset printing system?

D.S

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let's start again. Under Apple menu, I select system preferences, then under "Hardware" I select "Print and Fax". When I do that, a new screen appears which offers "open print queues" and "options and supplies"

At this point, am I in the right place? And if so, I don't understand the next instruction: "hold down control key and control click on printer name". What is a control click and where is the printer name.

This is the screen we want to get to.

On that screen.. On the white area to the left, where it has your list of printers.

Thats where we want to hold down control and click on the printer name.

That should give us the option to reset the printing system.

Let me know if this gets us there, or if we cant get the printing system to reset.. Thanks!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I got to that screen but on the white area to the left, it is blank and on the right it says "no printers available. Click "add" (+) to set up a printer". But when I click on "+" I get another screen that says "printer name" but won't let me enter a name. I think I'm getting close but so far, no cigar.

Thanks Michael, that information is very helpful.

It seems theres no epson printer installed at all.. So lets click the link below.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/Supportdlsurvey.jsp?B V_UseBVCookie=yes&licenseoid=17774&download=ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.epson.com%2fdrivers%2fepson14363.dmg&pn=Epson+WorkForce+Pro+WP-4530&pc=Epson+WorkForce%26%230174%3b+Series&ft=Recommended+For+You&returnpage=%2fsupport%2fsupDetail.jsp&returnparams=%26infoType%3dDownloads%26oid%3d183405%26platform%3dOSF_M_X6%26detected%3dNo

click download only.. Download the file.. Then go into your downloads folder and install this file.. ( once the download completes )

this will walk you through reinstalling the printer, and you should be able to print afterwords.

if you get stuck, or run into any issues at all, please send a reply so I can continue to assist you.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dustin,

Well, I downloaded the drivers and utilities, then installed them, finally getting the message that the printer and fax machine were set and ready to go, but when i tried to print, I got the same message "rastertoescpll quit unexpectedly". Where do I go from here?

Thanks Mike.

lets try this.Go to your finder, System Preferences and select Sharing

Where it says computer name, if its empty, type one in..

Now restart the mac, and then try to print again.. Can you?

Dustin S.