IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional

Hi, I keep getting this message, I am on a new Macbook air,

Customer Question

Hi, I keep getting this message,

I am on a new Macbook air, using Office 2011 Home & Business.

I am using my work exchange server which is fine on iphone and ipad

The server for account "Comarfluidpower" returned the error "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password." Your username/password XXXXX security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?
Category: Mac
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Is the same e-mail account working on iPhone and iPad, but won't work in Outlook?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have no issues with any other computers or devices just Outlook for MAC

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Is that is the only account added to Outlook for Mac or you have other accounts there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just one email account.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
In that case, let's remove that account and re-add it. Maybe you typed some information incorrectly the first time.

Here is what to do:

1. Start Outlook for Mac

2. Click on the Outlook menu and click Preferences...

3. Under the Personal Settings section, click on Accounts

4. Select your account and then click on the - located in the bottom left corner, then confirm the removal

5. Once done, you can re-add the same e-mail account there, so click on the + located in the bottom left corner and then click Exchange... or E-mail... - depending on the account type

If you need to re-add an exchange account, make sure to type your full e-mail address in the E-mail address box, select User Name and Password as authentication method and then type your user name and password. Finally, click Add Account.

User name should be something that doesn't include the @ symbol. For example, if your exchange e-mail address [email protected], your user name would be john123.

Make sure to type your password XXXXX When done, check if you can download e-mails.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried that several times.

The strange this is that I have clearly put the correct details in as my emails download briefly every time I re-enter the password.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Please check the settings for the same e-mail account on iPhone or iPad. Maybe there are changes there in contrast to Outlook.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Do you see the same error message all the time or only when you exit and start Outlook?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It flashes up every 10 or so seconds. I have read the forums and it is common but I can't find the solutions.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
OK. Let me check something...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks for waiting.

It seems to be a Mac Keychain problem. You will need to repair Keychain items and then delete all Office-related password XXXXX

Here is how to do it:

Please open Keychain Access by going to your Applications folder and then clicking on Utilities. Double-click on Keychain Access.

You will see all stored password XXXXX First, click on the Keychain Access menu and choose Keychain First Aid. Type your user account password XXXXX click Verify, then Start.

After the verification, select Repair and click Start.

After that, look for all Outlook-related password XXXXX in the Keychain Access and delete all of them.

When done, exit Keychain Access and Outlook, then re-start Outlook and, if asked, type your password XXXXX and hopefully, it should be saved correctly this time, and won't bother you again.

Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No sorry I followed all your instructions and the problem still remains.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
I see.

In that case, I am not sure what the problem could be. Since I am out of further ideas, I will opt-out and allow another Expert to continue working with you.

I am sorry I couldn't find a solution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for trying

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Hi again!

Since none of the Experts has provided their thoughts to this problem yet, I decided to research it for a while. I have come up to this article:

Is contacting your company's network administrator and asking them to recreate the EWS VirtualDirectory an option? Also, you can ask them to change your password XXXXX then see if Outlook for Mac will accept it.

Another way would be to uninstall Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac and re-install it, but without installing Service Pack 2 (update 14.2.0).

Many people have reported that the same problem stated to happen after installing service pack 2.