Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

How can I put my active eudoral mailboxes on an external

How can I put my active eudoral mailboxes on an external drives

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Brandon M. :

As I understand it, you wish to move where the Eudora data is stored to an external drive and still be able to actively use it, correct?

Customer:

Yes I want to use the mail boxes on the external drive, I want my mail boxes on the external drive

Brandon M. :

Great, thanks for clarifying.

Brandon M. :

Give me a few minutes to see what we can figure out. You are on a Mac, correct?

Brandon M. :

Ok, so your Eudora files are stored in your Documents folder. That is where Eudora looks for it's data. What we can do is make a link to a similar folder on the external. It would be difficult to explain but I can remotely control your computer and do it for you, if you wish.

Customer:

I you know how to do you can please explain it to me this is what i am interested in

Brandon M. :

Ok, but it involved the Terminal using command-line

Brandon M. :

Are you ok with that?

Customer:

I can live with that

Customer:

Explain it step by step

Brandon M. :

Ok, please first quit Eudora. Then, go to your documents folder and move the Eudora folder to your external hard drive.

Customer:

ok

Brandon M. :

Is it complete?

Customer:

yes

Brandon M. :

Ok, Make sure there is no Eudora folder in your documents. We will create one later.

Brandon M. :

Open up the Terminal. It can be found inside the Utilities folder (under the Go menu).

Brandon M. :

Once you have a terminal window open, type this (note the space): cd Documents

Brandon M. :

and press enter

Customer:

done

Brandon M. :

Great. Now, type the following but don't press enter just leave a trailing space: ln -s

Brandon M. :

that is LN space minus s space

Brandon M. :

With that still open, open your hard drive and drag the Eudora folder onto the Terminal window, then press enter in the terminal window.

Brandon M. :

If you did it correctly, look in your Documents folder and you should see a Eudora folder.

Customer:

done

Brandon M. :

Ok, try opening Eudora and see what happens.

Customer:

It appears that you have created an alias in documents ?

Customer:

Some questions

Brandon M. :

Yeah, links (ln) are similar to aliases

Customer:

I can start Eudora from the settings file

Customer:

Some times I have a problem that says setting file damaged ,what i do is replace it with a good back up i do the same now

Brandon M. :

That can typically happen from Eudora not closing properly, power failure, etc. That can be pretty normal.

Brandon M. :

And what do you mean you start it from the settings file? You should have a Eudora application icon you open.

Customer:

What I mean the is that the settings file on hard disk will work when I open the Eudora icon, that is Eudora will know to look for the settings on the external drive

Customer:

I guess the answer is obviously yes

Brandon M. :

Yes

Brandon M. :

Because we created a link to the one on the external.

Customer:

When the damaged setting file message appeared, I replaced the settings file in the Eudora folder with a good settings file i have stored on my computer and then restarted eudora. With this new arrangement I should do the same thing except the new settings file can be placed in either the alias or the original since they are both the same

Brandon M. :

Correct

Customer:

Can undo the whole thing by removing the alias and putting the original eudora folder back in documents??

Brandon M. :

Correct

Customer:

I just close the terminal utility

Brandon M. :

That is fine, we are done with it.

Brandon M. :

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

Thank you Brandon you did a good job

Customer:

How can I contact you if I need help in the future ?

Brandon M. :

No problem. Glad to help. You can visit/bookmark my profile page by clicking my name in the lower left. You can ask questions directly from there. Or, you can just ask a new question and put "For Brandon" at the beginning of it.

Brandon M. :

When you are ready and satisfied, please be sure to rate in the lower right corner. You may provide a tip/bonus after rating if you feel I deserve one (thank you in advance!).