John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I got locked out of my new Mac pro laptop, how do I retrieve

I got locked out of my new Mac pro laptop, how do I retrieve my password
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Was this MacBook pro purchased brand new?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes

Thanks, Bibi!

Shutdown your Mac

Restart

Then, press and hold the “Option” key as soon as you hear the startup chime.

When the boot menu appears, release the Option key and and select the “Recovery HD” disk in the boot menu.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear

Click on the “Utilities” option in the menubar and select “Terminal”

Type the following at the prompt:

resetpassword

and press Return on the keyboard.

Select the Macintosh HD volume and the user account. To change the password, type it in both places, and a hint, then click the Save button.

graphic

Restart your Mac and, hopefully, login.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it says

messages agent wants to use the "login" keychain.

enter the keychain

Please enter the keychain password

Is this after resetting the password XXXXX the prior instructions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes

In this case, you'll need to delete the original keychain.

In the Finder, click the "Go" item in the menu bar at the very top of the screen.

Choose Utilities

Open Keychain Access

In Keychain Access, choose Preferences from the Keychain Access menu.

If available, click the Reset My Default Keychain button. This will remove the login keychain and create a new one with the password XXXXX

If Reset My Default Keychain is not available, choose Keychain List from the Edit menu.

Delete the "login" keychain.

The next time you log in to the account, you can save your current password XXXXX a keychain.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have deleted the login key chain, but the window with the keychain login is still open demanding for the pass word

Does it have a Cancel option?

Restart the Mac and it should go away.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have restarted, it says continue, creaet new or update keychain password XXXXX a window, which option should I chose?

Try Create New. This is actually the screen you should have seen after first restart last time. ;-)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks John, I think it cleared, if I may ask, is this a one time bill, or it is on a rolling basis?

Great, glad to hear it.

I'm not an employee of JustAnswer and so can not access your account directly to see details, etc... However, there was an option at one time to turn on/off subscription status.

I think this link should work:
https://secure.justanswer.com/account/edit-subscription.aspx

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry