DaniBigApple
DaniBigApple, Mac Genius
Experience:  4+Years Apple Genius Experience Trainer in Apple core applications
66806038

Hi Pete, I seem to be having a freezing problem when I try

Hi Pete,
I seem to be having a freezing problem when I try to shutdown the computer. The only way I can shut it down is to press the start button and hold until it shuts down. (I have a macbook mini) It will not let me use the docking line to click what I would like to do - The only way I can get into the machine is by using the apple logo and click on the recent items and scroll down to the proper application.. then I can get it to go into word, excel, firefox, etc. thank you for your help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  DaniBigApple replied 1 year ago.

DaniBigApple :

Hello My name is XXXXX XXXXX sounds like you are unable to access your dock and cannot shut down your machine from the apple menu ?

DaniBigApple :

What version of the operating system are you using ?

Customer:

I think it is version 10.7

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Are you able to click on the apple at the top left corner and select about this mac to let me know for sure.

Also you stated the machine freezes when you attempt to shut it down? do you get an error? grey screen ? what type of freezing is it doing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

whn I click on the apple symbol it just give a colored circle an doesn't bring up the verzion. If I click on shutdown it does nothing - the only way I can shut down is to hold the start button for a few seconds..

how long has this issue been going on? Do you have a back up of the data that is on your machine currently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THis has been going on for about a week -

I do have a backup

Im glad to hear you have a back up. This issue sounds to be software related but on rare occasion failing hard drives can cause the machine to act up. Would you mind shutting down the machine then restarting the machine and holding down the shift key as soon as the machine turns back on. The machine will then boot into safe boot let me know if the machine acts normally in safe boot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I will be back momentarily

okay great
I see that you have rated my service as bad. Please understand that you are rating my service and not the website or the answer. We also haven't finished the interaction yet so I'm confused as to why I got that rating. Any feedback is appreciated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that I gave you a bad rating - I was confused by the way to answer the question and I kept getting kicked off the session. Then last night I was getting denied from answering the response.

So maybe we might start over.

Okay. Please edit the rating to what you feel is appropriate. Were you able to boot your machine into safe mode by holding down the shift key on start up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still having the problem. Not sure why. It freezes when saving an excel spread sheet
Could be hardware or software. I can have you check to see if there is an issue with the hard drive or reinstall the OS and see if the issue is resolved. The problem is if there is a hardware issue checking the hard drive or reinstalling the OS could cause the drive to fail. I would advise booting to the installer by holding down command R while restarting the computer. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3878
Once the machine boots to the recovery drive click on disk utility - select macintosh HD and repair disk

Try Disk Utility
Start from the Recovery System or Internet Recovery (OS X Lion or Mountain Lion).
select disk utility
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your OS X volume.
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

if disk utilities finds no errors then we will proceed to reinstall the OS.
If it fixes any errors then restart machine and see if issue is resolved
If the issue is not resolved then resinstall OS
if Macintosh HD is unable to be repaired then you may need to reformat the drive or replace it

Before you do any steps tho please make sure to have a recent back up to be safe

first try repairing the disk via disk utility
then try reinstalling OS

Please let me know what happens
DaniBigApple, Mac Genius
Experience: 4+Years Apple Genius Experience Trainer in Apple core applications