John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

cant change my admin password XXXXX my imac, thought it was the

cant change my admin password XXXXX my imac, thought it was the same the one i use on itunes. I even tried changing it thru apple, it sent me a email saying my apple id was successfully rest, no luck
Cant do any changes or update anything on the IMAC now
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

version 10.6.8

Thanks very much. Do you have your original OS X 10.6 install disc available?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i do not, didnt come with one

All iMacs running OS X 10.6.8 or earlier originally shipped with this disc. Did you buy this iMac used? The admin password XXXXX still be changed but it won't be nearly so easy for you in that case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

brand new in box

Okay, since this model does ship with a disc then it should have been included. You may wish to contact Apple for possible replacement though it's no doubt been a while since you purchased this unit.

In the meantime, please try the following. If you have any questions, just let me know.

1. Restart your Mac

2. Hold the COMMAND (Apple) key and S key together as soon as you hear the chime.

3. You will see white text on a black background and eventually get a text prompt. Enter these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. Once the Mac restarts, you will be given the choice to create a brand new user.

5. Once the user has been created, you may use it to modify the password XXXXX your original account by going into System Preferences > Accounts.

6. Then, log out of the "new" account and back into your original user account.

7. Once back in your original user account, you can return to System Preferences > Accounts and delete the "new" account you just made using this procedure.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will give it a shot and then reply again ,thanks

I'll be standing by. Good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks John, it did work, unfortunately I did lose all my files , have to set up the computer , I am in and can change stuff now
Thank you
Wait, I think you missed a step or three... That procedure does not delete anything;

5. Once the user has been created, you may use it to modify the password for your original account by going into System Preferences > Accounts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I'm on the accounts , I see the list of userers on the left the original and the on I just created cant see how to log out of one to the other
Okay, first did you change the password XXXXX for the original account (your old one)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Okay, on the screen you see now there should be an orange padlock in the lower left. Click it and authenticate with the password XXXXX this new temporary account.

Then select your old account.

Click Reset Password.

Enter your new password XXXXX the New Password XXXXX and then enter it again in the Verify field.

Enter a hint to help you remember the password. This hit appears if the wrong password XXXXX XXXXX three consecutive times in the login window.

Click Reset Password.

When you are done, quit System Preferences.

Next click the Apple logo in the topleft of the screen and choose Log out...

Sign back into your old account.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and click Accounts.

Click the lock icon to unlock it, and then enter your name and password.

Select the new temporary account you made earlier and click the "-" button below the list to delete it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok John, I understand now the process, I did mess up something I was a step ahead of you I hit the lock earlier and it prompted me for the password XXXXX did unlock, but I closed out the accounts folder, now when I went back to follow the steps you just sent the password XXXXX XXXXX unlocking saying I have the wrong password XXXXX

Would it be a good idea for me to start from the beginning , new user and all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank for being patient. Lol
No problem at all! We'll get there.

Are you still in the New account? If in the new accountand you haven't changed any passwords then you should still be able to do what needs to be done.

When you are clicking the orange lock to unlock in Accounts, make sure you are using the NEW account username and password XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am that's the problem
Okay, that's very odd. Did you try to change the password XXXXX change it on the New account by mistake, possibly?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't think so, is it a problem if I start from step one
No, it should be fine... you'll just end up with two extra accounts to delete when you are done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Good luck! ;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok John almost there now, logging on to the old account, a pop up window is saying unable to unlock your login key chain, and gives me options

Continue log in

Create new key chain

Update keychain

Don't know anything about keychain
Keychain is where your passwords are stored (such as for email, online accounts, etc...) Since you don't know the old password XXXXX will have no choice but to "Create new key chain".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok John, we are back to normal.
Your the man , thank you
You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/