Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I am concerned that someone has installed spyware on my 2 Macs,

I am concerned that someone has installed spyware on my 2 Macs, a Mac Book Pro and an iMac desktop. I want not only to determine if spyware IS there, but to be able to prove WHO put it there, perhaps by IP address or something. How do I do this? Hire a cyber-forensic expert?

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Kamil Anwar :

What makes you think that there is a spyware on your system?

Customer:

I made 2 appointments on my iPHONE, and someone else showed up at both. I believe the same person would be motivated to spy on my Mac activities.

Kamil Anwar :

Is that someone else the same person, who showed up on both appointments?

Customer:

yes

Kamil Anwar :

Where did you do the appointments on your iPhone (in an app) ?

Customer:

no, in a conversation. the person is very wealthy, and would gladly top tech experts to monitor me.

Kamil Anwar :

In your question, you stated Mac Book and iMac (so do we need to check whether the person is tapping into iPhone or Mac)?

Customer:

I am concerned about both, but just asked about the Macs. I am using a friends computer now, as I do not want to even ask about this on my own.

Kamil Anwar :

There are a number of things that can be done but i am afraid it is not a "Do It Yourself" type of thing. Hence i can advise you where to get this type of help.

Customer:

I agree it is not a do it yourself thing. I need an expert, probably to come to my home and dig into the systems.

Kamil Anwar :

Also since this thing requires continuous monitoring and setup of specialized tools, there has to be a plan in place.

Kamil Anwar :

This could be for example a setup of Private VPN, where a 2nd person will connect you to the VPN and then monitor all the packets in/out of your iPhone/Mac

Kamil Anwar :

You are absolutely right, therefore i would advise you to contact Kevin Mitnick of Mitnick Security

Customer:

Where is he located? I am in NY. What is a VPN?

Kamil Anwar :

Virtual Private Network

Customer:

Oh

Kamil Anwar :

He is one of the best persons to contact in USA

Kamil Anwar :

He travels alot, and can provide the right advise.

Customer:

sounds good. expensive?

Customer:

I reach him through thewebsite, right?

Kamil Anwar :

I believe it wouldn't be expensive based on the situation we have, which isnt a very complicated one involving a lot of networks

Customer:

ok, I can try him

Customer:

thanks, Kamil

Kamil Anwar :

No worries

Kamil Anwar :

If that doesnt help or if he is expensive let me know and we'll find someone else.

Kamil Anwar :

If you can take a minute to rate my services, that will be appreciated.

Kamil Anwar :

You can contact him through this page: http://mitnicksecurity.com/contact.php

Customer:

You did a good job steering me in a helpful direction, which is what I needed.

Kamil Anwar :

Thank you

Kamil Anwar :

If you can take a minute to rate my services, that will be appreciated. If you click on the smiley icons, the rating will be completed.

Thank you