Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I am concerned that someone has installed spyware on my 2 Macs,

I am concerned that someone has installed spyware on my 2 Macs, a Mac Book Pro and an iMac desktop. I want not only to determine if spyware IS there, but to be able to prove WHO put it there, perhaps by IP address or something. How do I do this? Hire a cyber-forensic expert?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Kamil Anwar :

What makes you think that there is a spyware on your system?

Customer:

I made 2 appointments on my iPHONE, and someone else showed up at both. I believe the same person would be motivated to spy on my Mac activities.

Kamil Anwar :

Is that someone else the same person, who showed up on both appointments?

Customer:

yes

Kamil Anwar :

Where did you do the appointments on your iPhone (in an app) ?

Customer:

no, in a conversation. the person is very wealthy, and would gladly top tech experts to monitor me.

Kamil Anwar :

In your question, you stated Mac Book and iMac (so do we need to check whether the person is tapping into iPhone or Mac)?

Customer:

I am concerned about both, but just asked about the Macs. I am using a friends computer now, as I do not want to even ask about this on my own.

Kamil Anwar :

There are a number of things that can be done but i am afraid it is not a "Do It Yourself" type of thing. Hence i can advise you where to get this type of help.

Customer:

I agree it is not a do it yourself thing. I need an expert, probably to come to my home and dig into the systems.

Kamil Anwar :

Also since this thing requires continuous monitoring and setup of specialized tools, there has to be a plan in place.

Kamil Anwar :

This could be for example a setup of Private VPN, where a 2nd person will connect you to the VPN and then monitor all the packets in/out of your iPhone/Mac

Kamil Anwar :

You are absolutely right, therefore i would advise you to contact Kevin Mitnick of Mitnick Security

Customer:

Where is he located? I am in NY. What is a VPN?

Kamil Anwar :

Virtual Private Network

Customer:

Oh

Kamil Anwar :

He is one of the best persons to contact in USA

Kamil Anwar :

He travels alot, and can provide the right advise.

Customer:

sounds good. expensive?

Customer:

I reach him through thewebsite, right?

Kamil Anwar :

I believe it wouldn't be expensive based on the situation we have, which isnt a very complicated one involving a lot of networks

Customer:

ok, I can try him

Customer:

thanks, Kamil

Kamil Anwar :

No worries

Kamil Anwar :

If that doesnt help or if he is expensive let me know and we'll find someone else.

Kamil Anwar :

If you can take a minute to rate my services, that will be appreciated.

Kamil Anwar :

You can contact him through this page: http://mitnicksecurity.com/contact.php

Customer:

You did a good job steering me in a helpful direction, which is what I needed.

Kamil Anwar :

Thank you

Kamil Anwar :

If you can take a minute to rate my services, that will be appreciated. If you click on the smiley icons, the rating will be completed.

Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Thank you