James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

Hi Mike, I am a complete novice and need a dummies guide answer. Imac

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I am a complete novice and need a dummies guide answer.
Imac is my main machine, just bought a macbook pro.
I have been running outlook on iMac for a while, 7 IMAP email accounts running, lots of folders 'on my computer' - as would rather it all sitting with me rather than on the servers.
Are the sent emails all on the computer or the servers (just an aside question)?
Anyway, I work between home and the office so added a macbook to the mix, have dowloaded office on to it now, and set up all the email accounts on it - but is there away to replicate all the folders and will those actions replicate between computers?

Thanks
S
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

That's a very good question, and many people get confused when they want to sync emails.

As long as you keep the mail on the computer, you cannot sync it between multiple computers.
You need to stop storing the mail locally, and switch to storing it on the server. If you have local folders, you also need to move all the items from those folders to the server folders.

Once you do that, all the sent items will be synced (since it will reside on the server), as well as all the other mail items.

This is the only way to sync your email accounts between multiple machines, but it is also a very safe and easy way. It makes sure your email is always safe, since your providers do regular backups, and it allows you to access your email from anywhere.

I hope this makes sense!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks James,

quicky easy one - if I just drag and drop a folder in to one of the email folders rather than 'on my comp' does that mean it is on the server?

I see when I do that it copies it so there are two folders now, if I now delete the one on my comp it won't delete the one that's now in the email account will it?

scratch that - just tested it and all good, can see it on macbook and deletes on comp without deleting the other one - phew.

Thanks!

Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.
No problem - glad I could help!