Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

If I run Parallels on a Mac, will I be able to connect to a

If I run Parallels on a Mac, will I be able to connect to a Windows Network and run programs from a Windows Server as a client PC?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Generally speaking the answer to your question is yes,

There are some caveats of course, such as what version of windows you will be running on parralells, and specifically what type of windows server your connecting to.

But generally, you shouldnt run into any major issues once you have your network adapter setup to allow a normal network / server connection within parralells.

If you follow the page below

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5664

Then you should have a pretty much seamless usage of parralels, windows, and connecting to a server / work server. Though if your using a VPN, that brings different concerns into play entirely.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be impossible to connect to a work server via VPN with a Mac?

Client PC (Mac) uses Windows 8 Pro and server uses Windos XP Pro.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Possible?

yes.. Will it be a smooth straight forward process?

Maybe, but maybe not.

Your adding in a whole lot of possible bottlenecks and failure points.

Parrallels > Windows 8 > Vpn > Windows Xp Server.

It wont be impossible John, and if your familiar with connecting via VPN , and windows 8.. Then there ideally, shouldnt be any issues. ( as long as the XP computer is setup correctly to allow VPN connections, and the router / modem the XP computer is behind is configured to allow VPN connections..)

It would be difficult to nearly impossible for me to guess what may or could go wrong , though most issues are caused by an incorrect setup at some point on the connection path listed above.

What may be best, XXXXX XXXXX you are in the process of setting it up, send a reply or start a new question, and If you do run into any specific errors or issues while setting up the connection, I could help you with steps specific to the errors or issues you were actively seeing during the setup process.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Just one more issue: Will it help if I upgrade the server to a later version of Windows?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
That would definitely help John.

As Windows 8 can connect to windows xp , but it can be somewhat finicky..

Then adding in that your running it from parralells and via a vpn, If upgrading to a newer server is possibly, I would highly recommend it.

D.S

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment