ehabtutor
ehabtutor, Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor of computer science, 5+ years experience in software development, software company owner
13535664

I have deleted a "note" containing various passwords and codes,

Customer Question

I have deleted a "note" containing various passwords and codes, by accident from my Iphone 5. is there any way of retrieving this? I have backed-up the phone previously to my Imac?
Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 1 year ago.

ehabtutor :

Hi

ehabtutor :

My Name is Ehab Tutor and i will do my best to help you on this

ehabtutor :

tell me when you are ready

ehabtutor :

are u there?

Customer :

I'm ready, thanks

ehabtutor :

great

ehabtutor :

now there are two ways to accomplish this

Customer :

what would you like to know from me?

ehabtutor :

The first one is to restore your backup using itunes

ehabtutor :

The second one is to use an iphone data recovery application

ehabtutor :

I would highly recommend the second option because it is to the point and less risky to replace any already present data on your iphone since the last backup

Customer :

ok, how do does the second option work?

ehabtutor :

Here you can find a link to one of the best data recovery softwares out there: http://www.any-data-recovery.com/product/iphone-data-recovery-mac.html

Customer :

If I restore via Itunes, won't it, what will the commands be?

ehabtutor :

I recommend first to download the free trial which will show you the lost notes but i doubt you will be able to retrieve them without purchasing the license

ehabtutor :

I will tell you the steps to restore the backup from itunes as well

Customer :

Thanks.

ehabtutor :

Now for the recovery software. after you download it to your mac. you need to do the following

ehabtutor :

First step: Install and launch the program. Connect your iPhone with computer and select “Recover Data from iOS Device” recovery mode.

ehabtutor :

Second step: Enter DFU mode to scan for the lost notes. (iPhone 5 & iPhone 4S users please skip this step)
1. Click "Start" on the interface of the program.
2. Press "Home" and "Power" button on your iPhone simultaneously. Hold both of them for about 10 seconds.
3. Then release "Power" and keep pressing "Home" for another 10 seconds.
After enter DFU mode, the program will begin to scan lost files.

ehabtutor :

The last step: Preview the lost notes of your iPhone after the scanning. Then check the notes you need to retrieve back and click “Recover”

ehabtutor :

ok now to the first option on how to use itunes to recover the lost note

ehabtutor :

For this option to work you have to have synced your iPhone with iTunes before deleted notes

Customer :

I have previously

ehabtutor :

ok i am just typing the steps for you. hold on a minute

ehabtutor :

which version of itunes do you have installed?

Customer :

I think I'm updaed with newest version.

ehabtutor :

ok

ehabtutor :

after connecting your iOS device to the computer with which you normally sync: Click the File menu and select Devices > Restore from Back up.

ehabtutor :

This will restore the latest backup you have from your mac to your iphone

ehabtutor :

or else do the following:

Open the iOS device's Summary tab. There are two ways to access this:

Click the device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper right corner. The device button will then be visible.)

From any view in iTunes, click the View menu and select Show Sidebar. Select your iOS device in iTunes under Devices.

Click the Restore Backup button.

ehabtutor :

By the way you can First, backup your iPhone (right click on your iPhone under devices and click Back Up). To restore from a backup, right click on your iPhone under Devices in iTunes and click Restore from Backup

Customer :

The Devices selection didn't want to give me any devices.

ehabtutor :

Is your iphone connected properly to your mac

Customer :

Yes

ehabtutor :

You must have done this before since you already backed up the date befor

Customer :

Where do I open the Summary tab?

ehabtutor :

let me send you a screenshot

ehabtutor :

ehabtutor :

you can alternatively do the following :

ehabtutor :

The summary tab is on the window that appears when you click on your device: http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1766/en_US/HT1766--back_up_now_button-001-en.png

ehabtutor :

take care to click the restore backup button and not the restore iphone button at the top of the summary page

ehabtutor :

where you able to find it?

Customer :

There are two section in Summary:

Customer :

Iphone 5

Customer :

and

Customer :

Backups

ehabtutor :

yes

ehabtutor :

its under backups

Customer :

I have to click in the iphoe 5 section on restore Iphone?

ehabtutor :

no

ehabtutor :

this will restore the factory setting for the iphone and not the backup

ehabtutor :

which will result in earasing all data from the iphone

Customer :

Ok, then under backups

ehabtutor :

exactly

ehabtutor :

you have 2 buttons

Customer :

it's clicked on "This computer" and then on the right it gives me:

Customer :

back up now and restore back-u

ehabtutor :

backup up now and restore backup

ehabtutor :

exactly

Customer :

Ok so I will want to restore from there?

ehabtutor :

exactly

ehabtutor :

you will hit the restore backup button to restore the latest backup you have on your mac

Customer :

Will this also resotre contact, etc, as I have added a few new contact since last restoring (15/07). Will this then "oose" the new contacts?

Customer :

loose

ehabtutor :

Let me double check this

ehabtutor :

do you have multiple backups or only the one on 15/07?

Customer :

I says: lastback-up on 15/07/2013

ehabtutor :

: Edit/Preferences/Devices, you should see a panel with a list of dated backups.

ehabtutor :

ok i have checked itunes replaces the older backups

ehabtutor :

so you will only have one backup which is the one of 15/7

ehabtutor :

can you check this and see if you can select between different backups: http://media02.hongkiat.com/backup-restore-iphone/restore.jpg

ehabtutor :

under devices, right click on your iphone 5, then choose restore from backup as you can see in the image

ehabtutor :

r u following?

Customer :

I have to leave quickly, will be back in 30 min

ehabtutor :

sure no problem. just post here when you are back

ehabtutor :

Most probably the restoring backup data process will replace the newer data

ehabtutor :

if you still want to keep them. it is safer to use the recovery software.

ehabtutor :

Restoring from backup will restore the files in the backup altogether, thus you will lose your current data on your device.

ehabtutor :

To do this:

http://media02.hongkiat.com/backup-restore-iphone/restore.jpg

under devices, right click (ctrl click) on your iphone 5, then choose restore from backup as you can see in the image

ehabtutor :

I still highly recommend using the recovery software if you want to just recover the deleted note. You can check the guide here to recover it from your itunes backup you already have. http://www.any-data-recovery.com/howtouse/iphone-data-recovery-mac.html

ehabtutor :

I have also checked and it seems that the free trial is with no limitation so you can actually attempt to use it to recover the deleted note. without loosing your iphone newer data. At the end its up to you.

ehabtutor :

If you are satisfied with my help, please take a minute to leave me a positive feedback. A bonus will be highly appreciated

ehabtutor :

ok I waited for you and i have to go for 2 hours. Please don't forget to leave me a positive rating as this is the only way i get paid for my effort and time. A bonus will be highly appreciated

Expert:  ehabtutor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 1 year ago.
Hi Liezel,

I am following up with you to see if you where able to follow my instructions and retrieve your deleted note.

Please take a minute to leave me a positive rating on the stars or faces scale as this is the only way i get compensated for my time and effort.

A bonus will be highly appreciated

Regards,
ehab tutor
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 1 year ago.
Hi Liezel,

i hope you were satisfied with my assistance.
Please don't forget to leave me a positive rating as this is the only way i get paid for my effort and time.

A bonus will be highly appreciated

Regards,
ehab tutor