Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I upgraded my Mac OS from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and

I upgraded my Mac OS from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and can no longer play media files streamed from my computer to my TV using the Netgear NeoTV 550. I managed to get the sharing re-setup so that the 550 sees the files but will not play any of them no matter what format.
Worked fine with leopard/snow leopard.

Mac Mini Running 10.8.2 hardwired thru network to NeoTV 550 with latest firmware. Mac is sharing using SMB (Windows Sharing) Mac Firewall off.

any ideas? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

I did that and it couldn't repair the disk. Now that machine will not boot and is basically dead. It must be a bad hard drive, I can't replace it tonight and get the OS and backup back on it .. but will do tomorrow and get back to you if that fixes the problem or not.

Thanks!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily it could just be a corrupt directory. Let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a backup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This feels like a bad sector to me (I'm crap at networking, but a pretty good hardware guy).

I have a so-so backup but there are some work things that would make my life easier if I could get them off the old HD. Rather than reformat I'd like to pull the drive and plug it into my MBP (which I'm using now) and attempt to recover some files.

I've got the Mac Mini booted now from an old bootable leopard drive.. but it won't let me copy anything off the Mac Mini drive.

If it turns out to be a bad HD was the problem, don't worry.. I'll be happy to pay you for my "Duh" moment... I was too focused on the new OS being the problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK but even a bad sector can be mapped out if you do a reformat and choose the Security option to Zero Out the data. Just hate to throw away a good drive, bad sectors can happen.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Always check the drive before any major upgrades:

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, Finally back up and running with a shiny new copy of Snow Leopard and HD checks out OK with Disk Utility.

So.. Back to the problem: I set up the SMB sharing of the drive that I want to share and added it to the NeoTV. I get this error message on the TV when I add the address, name, password: "Host is not accessible. Do you want to enter the host again?"

Thanks!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to System Preferences/ Security and turn off the Firewall. Let me know if the problem persists.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Firewall was already off.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any virus or security software installed? Also do you have another computer around?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the latest firmware. I found a discussion which appears to be the same problem:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=68317

I installed "NSF Manager" .. but when I launch it it throws a DNS Check error: "This computer could be affected by DNS problems" .. "the following problem detected: DNS appears to have fallen back to Bonjour-only operation"

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
For about the same cost you can get the Mountain Lion server software which allows you to setup NSF shares easily:

http://www.apple.com/osx/server/how-to-upgrade/

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Another option would be DLNA software like this:

http://twonky.com/downloads/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I like the Mountain Lion server idea!
I had to go to work for a couple of hours, but will install that when I get home and report back. Thanks!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK great, let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I got the server installed... I can't find where to share the NSF on the Mac Server... I can set it up fine on the NeoTV.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I just realized they removed NSF sharing from the GUI in Mountain Lion server. I wasn't aware of that. You will have to follow this guide to do it after you turn File Sharing on and share your media folder:

http://yourmacguy.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/osx-automount/

You should go to Apple Software Update first and update to 10.8.4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you lost me... that's all Greek to me.. looks like I have to enter a lot of complicated command line stuff?

I'm about ready to go back to snow leopard... :(

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes sorry about that. It really just involves creating the file in the correct place but it is a little daunting. If your media player supports DLNA then I still suggest you try Twonky server rather than try to downgrade to Snow Leopard:

http://twonky.com/downloads/

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sharing is very simple in Twonky. Here are the default shared folders but you can just click on Browse button and add your current media folders instead.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried Twonky, but never could get the netgear device to see the shares.

Sorry,
I had to give up on lion and go back to Leopard... Lion was just headache after headache.. I felt like I was working with a Microsoft product!

I ran out of time and just needed my Mac to work.

Thanks for trying to help, I'll give you positive feedback.

Rus

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry about that I am running it on a Montain Lion server without any problems. My player is an Oppo 105 Blu-Ray player. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.