James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

Iomega eGo 1TB USB 2.0 FireWire 800 Desktop External Hard Drive

Iomega eGo 1TB USB 2.0 FireWire 800 Desktop External Hard Drive Mac Edition - 34794

iMac 20-inch Mid 2007, OSX Lion 10.7.5

Iomega will not appear in finder. Just clicks and clicks and clicks.

My name is James.

Can you describe the noises you hear from the drive please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As if it is spinning.

Does it sound more like a cotinous whine of a motor spinning, or do you actually hear ticks or clicks every second or few seconds?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ticks and clicks every few seconds.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

I'm going to explain what's going on with the drive, but can you first tell me if there is data on it that you absolutely need?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is data I absolutely need! I'm in the middle of publishing a magazine.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but the clicking sound you are hearing is very bad news.
The hard drive has magnetic read/write heads that hover over magnetic discs - a very gentle and fragile mechanism.
In your drive, the heads are no longer hovering over the discs, instead they are banging agains the discs, which causes the clicking sound that you hear.
There is no way to get data off the drive as it is - the only way to recover the data is to open the drive and exract it manually, using special equipment in a special clean room.

You need to use a data recovery company, a good one is - they will take the data out of the drive, put it on a DVD and quickly ship it to you.

I know this is not what you want to hear and am very sorry to give you this piece of bad bad news, but it would be unprofessional of me to do otherwise. I hope you understand and that you are not going to shoot the messenger...

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now, I paid you $68. Is that for one question?

The site offers subscription plans, that allow you to ask many questions for the same price. I can have a customer service rep contact you about it.

Can you please click one of the faces under my answer to rate me? Once this is done I can get customer service to contact you.