Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have the following equipment: iMac running Mac OS X, iPad,

I have the following equipment:

iMac running Mac OS X, iPad, iPhone which I want to connect wirelessly and other equipment in another room of the house

TP-Link TD-W8961ND Wireless N ADSL2+ modem router

TP-Link TL-PA411 Powerline adapter connected by ethernet cable to router

TP-Link TL-WPA281 which is paired to the PA411 and which works as an extender in another room but only with an ethernet cable. I cannot get the wireless to work.

I have looked at various suggestion on the internet and in the TP-LINK FAQ but could not get the wireless facility to work and the wireless signal from the router is not good in the part of the house where I need it. Any suggestions gratefully received
I sent the above to tplink support and got the following:

Thank you for choosing TP-LINK, This is Hannah from TP-LINK Technical Support.
If so, please refer to and reconfigure the wireless.
And on the Wireless settings page, please choose your Region, change Channel to 11, change Channel Width to 20MHz, click Save and reboot.
Now can you connect to your wireless or not?
If the wireless is still not working, then please reset TL-WPA281, keep it on, use a pin to press and hold the reset hole for 15 seconds. Then please repair with TL-PA411, and reconfigure the wireless.
I followed all of those instructions and now:
I can now see the TP-WPA281 as an access point and can connect to it wirelessly with my iMac but the internet is not available.
The internet is also not available if I connect with my iMac to the TP-Link TD-W8961ND Wireless N ADSL2+ modem router wirelessly.
The internet is available if I connect to the TP-Link TD-W8961ND Wireless N ADSL2+ modem router with an ethernet cable.
I can see the TP-WPA 281 as a wireless network from my iPhone and iPad but neither of them will connect to it. My password XXXXX accepted but then I just get a spinning disc.
If I connect to the TP-Link TD-W8961ND Wireless N ADSL2+ modem router with my iPad or iPhone the internet is available.
This all seems very strange! Do you have any ideas?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

That sounds like it could be a defective modem/router. However, before we go there lets try a few things first.
On the back of the modem you will find some labels, on them you will find the version number, this I need to see if there are updates.
Also if you would tell me what version of OS X you have that would help.

Who is your ISP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dan

Ver No. is 1.1

OS X is 10.8.4

ISP is Zen Internet

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Dan

Apologies for my previous late reply - I saw your request for more info when I wen back to my browser. I only just found your request (as an email) in my spam folder and have now [email protected] to my safe senders list.

Good morning Stephen, I was unable to reply yesterday, sorry.

I do not know if you have read through the manual or not but you probably did.
Here it is anyway.

It may be that the wireless is not working or only sometimes working.

I have never heard of TP-LINK before but the equipment looks OK on paper.

I would use the IP address to configure it because it is all Windows based and the CD will only work with Windows.
The Address is, this explains best.

If that should fail then box it back up and return it for another.

You say that some parts of your house has problems getting siginal, I myself, used routers connected via ethernet in remote rooms such as the basement. Also if you have Robustness turned on, turn it off. It limits range.

Look that over and let me know please, I will be back about 11 AM.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Daniel. I have some visitors here at the moment but I will get back to you soon.

No hurry as I have in-laws here and have to work around that.
We will get this sorted out. Enjoy your visitors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No hurry for me either - let's enjoy our time with our respective visitors! Tomorrow we also have church commitments and there is no desperate need to get this fixed but I would like to improve our wireless performance eventually!

Just getting a better wireless signal in the lounge - whether by means of adjustments or a better router may be the answer.

I am sharing some screen shots from setup for internet, LAN and Wireless in case they are of any help. I'm sure they mean more to you than to me.

Many thanks for your help!

Thanks for the shots, that helped a lot.

One thing I notice is the type of security. Macs like WPA2 best, XXXXX XXXXX the most secure.

Also some of the window is cut off, I am not sure if there is pertinent info there or not.
I also notice that you have a Time Capsule, one of the best routers around, wired or wireless.
You have a modem with the TP-Link. I would try disabling the wireless on the TP and use the TC. You will have to power down the Modem (after disabling the wireless, they can conflict), connect the ethernet from the modem to the TC and power it back up.
Then set the wireless channel on the TC to automatic, it will select the best.
You will have to use the Airport Utility (found it Applications/Utilities) to configure the Time Capsule (TC).
It isn't a modem but it is an excellent router.
You seem to know your way around but if I have been unclear please tell me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Thank you for that.

I have disabled the TP-Link wireless, configured the Time Capsule and I can now connect all machines to it wirelessly and have internet access. The signal in my lounge (opposite diagonal corner to the router and TC) is still not good but is just about ok. Is there a way I can improve it using kit such as the TP-Link extenders? If I can get hold of another Time Capsule - which I think I can - could that act as an extender and if so, could they communicate wirelessly or would I need to run an ethernet cable around the house?

I suggest an Airport Express to extend the network.
That little jewel is nice, small and does not need a cable to extend the network. I have one I use for travel and in my wife's classroom.
Much less expensive than a TC.

This is what they say.

Extend an existing Wi‑Fi network’s range.

If you already have a wireless network in your home and want to extend its range, AirPort Express can help. Just place it in range of your primary base station — an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Time Capsule, or another AirPort Express — and near the area where you want your wireless connection. Launch the easy‑to‑use AirPort Utility app on your iOS device or Mac, and you’re mere minutes away from long‑range Wi‑Fi enjoyment.

Again, use the Airport setup utility you used for the TC. Easy.
That help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is just a reply to say thank you Daniel. You may consider the case closed, I very much appreciate the time and expertise you have given me and have already rated your answers as Excellent plus left a tip of 50%.

Many thanks, Stephen

Thank you Stephen, God bless you.
If you run into any problems with this please let me know and I will happily follow up on it.
This is just a reply to close the question.