Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My Mac Performa 6320CD has suddenly become unresponsive. .

Customer Question

My Mac Performa 6320CD has suddenly become unresponsive. . First, there was a delay in responding to keyboard entries. Then, I tried restarting it and I get four tones but a blank screen. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I haven't seen one of those for some time.
What those tones mean is bad RAM. I do not know how much RAM you have but if you have more than minimum remove one and try it. If it boots up you found the bad one, if not replace it and move to the next and so on.
Try that and let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know anything about how much RAM there is or how to remove it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will look up some specs and get back to you.

Are you sure of the model number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac Perfoma 6320CD

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Does it look like this?
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the computer looks the same. I use a different monitor

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok, good. Removing the case, if I remember correctly, there are two screws on the back. Take those out and the case should lift from the back to the front and lift off.
Here is where new RAM can be had.
Here are the specs for that Mac. All from Apple.
With that you can access the RAM. Try reseating the RAM, take it out and put it back in, that may do it. Also you may want to use low pressure air to blow out the dust you will find inside.
Then put it back together and try it. That is about the best I can do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed screws from the back, but all I see is an empty compartment several inches long with a loose strap inside. Nothing seems to lift out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The expert stopped respondingg, and I was unable to resolve my issue with the information he h=gave me.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I am back, sorry I was called away.
Please read the whole document I sent, it shows all the components including the RAM slots. They are the DRAM SIMM, that is what they named them.

There are two slots, if your Mac is stock it will have an 8 MB in one slot. There should be a lever on each end to pry the cards up so they can be lifted out. If you have only one then use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts and put it back in, carefully.

Many components are fitted into slots that allow them to be swapped out if one needs replacing, the mother board is the whole green board with many soldered parts.

More RAM is available from the link I sent earlier.
Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I get the compartment that holds the RAm out?! i removed ths crews and panels, but still can't get it/

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Change of advice. Seems the four tones mean bad RAM in later models but for the Performa it means the logic board has died.

Look at Symptoms chart/error codes - 2 on the PDF.
8 tones is RAM, 4 is logic board.
Finding a working logic board will not be easy, few are out there.

It can't hurt to reseat the RAM though.
graphic
They are center by the out ports.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to try re setting the RAm. Please help me by telling me how to remove and replace it

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
The white (probably) levers on each end of the slot need to be pushed away from the RAM card, this pushes the card up for removal. To replace push down.
Scroll about half way down the PDF for pics of how do do all this. It is all there, that is the whole manual for that machine.
If you have trouble with the RAM then you should not be inside because it is more delicate now than when new.
There are complete troubleshooting guides listed in the PDF, here it is again.

I do not know what machine you are using now but if you can open it out of the browser it will be easier to browse.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not realize that I was getting into areas that I should not as a novice. I also spent time trying to find someone to address a bad RAM problem that apparently does not exist. I plan now to take the computer to a technician. I appreciate your efforts, but I have not benefitted from this contact.