Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.

I bought my Macbook air used, and Id like to change the name

I bought my Macbook air used, and I'd like to change the name and passwords. How?

Sometimes Mail asks me for my gmail password, seemingly for no reason. Can this be avoided?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 11 months ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

I may be asking questions back and forth, therefore please co-operate with me in responding to my questions.

At the end of the session, if you are satisfied, please do rate my services that will be appreciated. If you are not satisfied, please ask me before rating (so that I can further assist you).

Kamil Anwar :

If this is a used macbook, then i suggest you reset it to factory settings to avoid any problems similar to this.

Kamil Anwar :

If there is no important data on the Mac, then i can take you through the process - Straight Away.

Customer:

There is lots of important data on this Mac

Kamil Anwar :

Please tell me where does it asks for a password?

Customer:

When I reboot.

Customer:

Also, I'd like to rename the computer

Kamil Anwar :

System preferences - Sharing - Computer name - Edit.

Kamil Anwar :

You can rename it from there.

Kamil Anwar :

Tell me when it is done doing the mail, we continue with the email.

Customer:

What does "Use dynamic global host" mean?

Kamil Anwar :

Recommended only for hardwired machines using a LAN DNS

Kamil Anwar :

provided by the service provider, you do need to edit this.

Kamil Anwar :

you do not need to edit this.

Customer:

I've changed the name, but under "Macintosh HD, Users" it's still a different name

Kamil Anwar :

You have changed the name of the computer, the username needs to be changed.

Kamil Anwar :

Let me write down the instructions

Kamil Anwar :

Can you take a full backup of your data, before we proceed with changing the username.

Kamil Anwar :

Changing the username is XXXXX XXXXX complicated process, hence backup is necessary if any thing goes wrong, data should notbe lost as recommended by Apple.

Customer:

OK, but I can't do it now, need to leave the house. Maybe tomorrow?

Kamil Anwar :

No problem, we can do this tomorrow. If you can rate my answer that will be appreciated.

Customer:

Will do.

Kamil Anwar :

You can login to JustAnswer.com -> My Questions -> and respond to the same question.

Customer:

Great. Thanks!

Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.