Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Platinum Mac Support, Repair, and Presales Specialist.
23511658

I have an HP Officejet Pro L7780 conected to a Mac Pro (desktop)

I have an HP Officejet Pro L7780 conected to a Mac Pro (desktop) running OSX 10.7.5. The printer works fine printing documents from software applications (Word, etc.) but won't print web pages or emails properly. Text is cut off at the bottom of the pages and some is missing completely. I am using Firefox 23.0 as a browser and followed their online instructions for resetting the print pref.'s. I tried using Safari and get the same results. HP has no information to troubleshoot this problem. Do you have a suggestion as to how I can get the printer to correctly print pages from the web and email?

thank you!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question. When you are printing from the browser, are you printing using the print icon, or are you going to file>print?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm printing using the print icon

Thank you doug.

Please try this... it will give you much more control over the settings for the printer.

Click on the file menu and then go to Print. That should bring up the printer's native dialog box where you can select "properties". Once in properties, you can set the options for printing. In this case, you can choose to reduce the size or "fit to page". The way this is worded may be different depending on the version of print driver you have installed. If you are uncertain, let me know what options you have.

Also, if it doesn't solve the problem, let me know and we can do something different. I will help you until it's resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That didn't help. The printer's native box doesn't have a "properties" option. I have already selected "fit to page" and that doesn't work either. I made sure I have the latest HP driver installed, I've used the "File, Print" command with no luck. I've determined that it seems to be an HP driver problem (no surprise). I hooked up my Canon printer and was able to print entire pages easily and without any problems.

I didn't see that as one of the things that you have tried, so I apologize. On OSX, there is simply a down arrow without the word "properties" next to it - but since you've already done what I was asking you to do, I suppose that doesn't matter.

You did mention that it's doing the same in Safari, so it would have to be specific to the HP. Does it show properly in print preview?

I'm assuming you want to continue troubleshooting the HP, but if that's not the case, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since it seems to be an HP and OSX compatibility problem -- there are features on my HP that are unusable (like 2-sided printing) because the HP driver doesn't recognize the command even though it shows up as an option in the print settings window -- I guess we could spend a lot of time trying to come up with a work around. I can copy a web page and paste it into Word or some other software, then print without the page getting chopped up and parts going missing. So, let's just call it a day. I do appreciate your input and attempting to help. I'll still give you a positive rating.

Thanks, again,

Doug

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
I understand, Doug. I am the kind of person that isnt' very comfortable with "workarounds" - time is precious and there's a great deal of value, IMO, to keeping things simple that can be kept simple.

The duplexing issue is one of which HP is aware and one of the solutions they offer (which is a little strange) is their "two-sided printing software". I don't recommend wrestling with it - I'm providing the link for your reference, but in the spirit of keeping things simple, I wouldn't want to be installing software for each feature that you want to work.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

When you are ready to provide a rating, you can do so with the rating icons on the answer page. You can still contact me after rating if you need to for any reason.

Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Platinum Mac Support, Repair, and Presales Specialist.