Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

something happened to change everything on my computer. How

something happened to change everything on my computer. How do I restore my Mac to a point or date before this happened? all pictures and videos have been taken off.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Do you have any backups created?
Any recovery partition??
When did the problem started?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a Seagate Go/Flex Desk external drive installed. I believe the problem started on or about Aug. 8th

How did you back up to Seagate?

Using Time Capsule?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe it backs up automatically, however, I have never used it nor tested it out.

With your backup drive connected, start up your Mac from the Recovery system (Command-R at startup). Then use the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" utility.

Tell me what do you get when you do this?

This should list all the backups if (there is any), for you to restore.

If it doesnt, then login to Mac OS, Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine menu. You can use the timeline on the right side of the window to reach a certain point back in time (the timeline shows the times of all backups on your backup drive). If you don’t know exactly when you deleted or changed a file, you can use the back arrow to let Time Machine automatically travel through time to show you when that folder last changed.

Note: Dates in pink indicate the data resides on your Time Machine backup device. Dates in white indicate the data resides on your Mac. In OS X Mountain Lion and Lion, portable Macs have the feature of local snapshots.

Alternatively, what you can do is take a back up of all your documents, and re-install the OS. If you need any assistance during this process, please respond to this window.

Kindly rate my services, that will be appreciated. If you have any questions or need assistance, I am at your service :) Without a rating, i do not get any credit for my time. Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my mac is a snow leopard if that will help. I went to time machine icon and is showed many folders with dates under each folder. I clicked on a date close to the time the problems started but nothing showed up.

That should be the last method to try. It only recover some files and settings.

You need to restart and as soon as it restart hold command + r key.

Make sure before doing this back up drive stays connected.