Damian-Answers
Damian-Answers, Technology Subject Matter Expert
Experience:  For 29 yrs I have been solving technology problems. My goal is get you back to what you would rather be doing ASAP!
75240270

i update my iphone4s recently from 6.1.2 to 6.1.3 at the same

i update my iphone4s recently from 6.1.2 to 6.1.3 at the same time i lost 1300 pictures. any thing i can do to get my pic. back and where?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Damian-Answers replied 1 year ago.

Damian-Answers :

Hi - My name is Damian and I am a computer / software expert with 29 yrs experience. I am going to assist you today. Can you tell me the version of iTunes that you are using to sync up your iPhone with your mac? This is usually found in the iTunes->About iTunes.

Customer :

11.0.4.4

Damian-Answers :

Great - that looks like the newest version so the views may have recently changed, so we'll have to see where the options are by default. When you connect your iphone do you see a sidebar in iTunes? If not, can you go to View->Show Sidebar?

Damian-Answers :

once you see the sidebar, you should see your phone listed under Devices

Damian-Answers :

Please click on the name of your phone and go to the Photos menu bar.

Customer :

you mean that shows my device is connected or not ? if so yes.

Damian-Answers :

yep, it will show that its connected and when you select your device you will see a menu in the right box...starting with summary, ending with photos.

Damian-Answers :

do you see what I mean?

Customer :

yes.

Damian-Answers :

one piece of info I forgot to ask....were these photos originating on your phone (taken with your camera) OR from your computer copied to your phone

Customer :

taken with phone camera.

Damian-Answers :

okay - then we'll take a slightly different approach. On your mac, if you hit the "command" key then the spacebar at the same time, your spotlight should come up. In there please type "image capture" without the quotes.

Damian-Answers :

Please let me know when you are in Image Capture.

Customer :

i am not using mac. am using pc.

Damian-Answers :

Oh...I'm sorry, this question came to mac experts :) I can help you with your PC issue as well, with some small adjustments.

Damian-Answers :

Alright, can you tell me which version of Windows you are running?

Customer :

what is that adjustment would be?

Customer :

windows 7 home premium.

Damian-Answers :

When you first connect your iPhone to your PC, does an autoplay window pop up by chance? If you want to test it, you can eject your phone from itunes and then unplug and replug in.

Customer :

Yes it does.

Damian-Answers :

I ask because this is the easiest way to get to the functionality to Import Photos

Damian-Answers :

do you see the option to Import Pictures and Videos by chance?

Damian-Answers :

if so, please select it

Damian-Answers :

What we are going to try to see is if it sees any of your photos on your device and if not, what the default location is for your last import.

Customer :

yes i selected and that not show me those pics. i lost.

Damian-Answers :

alright...do you see any photos, possibly recent ones taken with your camera? or no photos at all?

Customer :

yes i have couple of photos taken recently after updating.

Damian-Answers :

Do you know if you have ever seen this screen before? Did you possible import your photos using this functionality prior to your update to iOS 6.1.3?

Damian-Answers :

We have a few options to recover your photos if they were in fact imported OR backed up, this is just one of them. If you do remember using this functionality to import your photos, then you can try to import one of your recent ones and see where it tries to save them.

Customer :

that was the reason to update. itune was not beable to see the hard drive of the phone.

Damian-Answers :

I understand. If you don't think you've used this functionality before lets move on to some other options.

Damian-Answers :

can you go back to your iTunes and select your device in the sidebar

Damian-Answers :

in the right panel do you see the Backups section of the Summary tab? Can you tell me if iCloud or This Computer is selected?

Customer :

I am sure i didn't use this functions.

Customer :

yes i see it.

Damian-Answers :

can you tell me which option is selected of the two: iCloud or This Computer?

Customer :

Icloud

Customer :

but at the same time it say it never been backup.

Damian-Answers :

Thanks - lets take a look on your device itself too. Leaving it plugged into your usb cable, can you go to Settings->iCloud->Storage and Backup

Damian-Answers :

Can you tell me if you see the full 5.0 GB available or a smaller number?

Customer :

yes.

Damian-Answers :

It says 5.0 Gb available?

Damian-Answers :

If a backup has been made to iCloud we would likely see a smaller number

Customer :

4.7GB. avail..

Damian-Answers :

alright...fingers crossed.

Damian-Answers :

can you go into "Manage Storage" in the same menu

Damian-Answers :

Do you see your phone's name listed under Backups?

Customer :

yes 213.6MB.

Damian-Answers :

If you see your phone listed and you click on the name of your phone, you should see a series of backup options.

Damian-Answers :

do you see Camera Roll as ON?

Customer :

no. it is off

Customer :

my camera roll was more than 6GB.

Damian-Answers :

Alright, lets see if there were any local backups (to your computer) made with your prior iOS. Can you go back to your iTunes and go to the Preferences option in the Edit menu (alt-E, if the menu bar is hidden)?

Damian-Answers :

In there please go to the Devices tab

Damian-Answers :

Do you see any backups listed there that were probably from BEFORE your upgrade to 6.1.3?

Customer :

yes i see them but they are a year old which is my camera roll has a lot of pics start this pass jully i just came back from vacation from africa. i'm sure you are feeling my pain.

Damian-Answers :

I do feel your pain....I actually have taken extra precaution with my photos triple backing them up because of how scary it is to lose any. Its not as easy as you would expect either to keep backups all organized, etc. Lets see if we have any other options....

Damian-Answers :

lets see if you have photostream enabled....

Damian-Answers :

On your PC can you go to your Start button and start typing icloud. If you have the iCloud control panel, it should show up, please select it and advise that worked.

Customer :

what is i cloud control panel ? when i type icloud the only thig i see is readme.

Damian-Answers :

if you go to Start->Control Panel

Damian-Answers :

you may or may not have an iCloud icon...

Damian-Answers :

can you try that approach to see if you do.

Damian-Answers :

Its basically a place where you can configure certain iCloud options, including Photo Stream, which takes every photo you've taken to sync with the Cloud. I wanted to see if you had it enabled by chance.

Customer :

no icloud icon in control panel.

Damian-Answers :

okay, thanks.

Damian-Answers :

On your iPhone can you go back to Settings->iCloud

Damian-Answers :

if you scroll down, you should see the Photo Stream option

Damian-Answers :

do you see that ON or OFF?

Customer :

I know, it was off before this update now it is on.

Damian-Answers :

just to rule it out, I think we should take a look at your photostream just to confirm what photos are there.

Damian-Answers :

Can you go ahead and install the iCloud control panel for windows. Let's see if this link works: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455

Customer :

what do U want me to do with this link?

Damian-Answers :

Go ahead to that website and please download that control panel software.

Damian-Answers :

After the download is complete, please find and run it to install it.

Damian-Answers :

What this does is install Apple's iCloud control panel, and in there we can enable the photostream functionality so you can access all your photostream photos from your PC. You mentioned the photostream option was NOT enabled before, but its possible it was during your time in Africa, so worth a shot I think.

Damian-Answers :

Please let me know when the software is installed and you see the new iCloud option in your Windows Control Panel

Damian-Answers :

How's it going? Run into any issues?

Customer :

I am on it and give me another min.

Damian-Answers :

Awesome. When installed lets go to Control Panel->iCloud and enable that photostream option. It may have an Options button next to it as well, and in that case, please click and ensure "My photo stream" is checked AND note the Photo Stream location (directory where images will download).

Customer :

the download is done but the server is not responding see it.

Customer :

i can not sign in because of server error.

Damian-Answers :

OH....so when the iCloud control panel asks you for your Apple ID, you are unable to login because of a server error, right?

Customer :

yes.

Damian-Answers :

There are a couple possibilities of why that is happening.

Damian-Answers :

1) you have a spyware blocker or antivirus software of some sort installed

Damian-Answers :

or

Damian-Answers :

2) we need to reset your winsock as something is fishy

Damian-Answers :

to determine next step, can you advise if you have some spyware blocker or equivalent software actively running at this time?

Damian-Answers :

Don't you love computers?!? There is always a surprise around every corner =]

Damian-Answers :

other possibilities include firewall software [I would think beyond Windows 7's own firewall]

Customer :

what should i do now?

Damian-Answers :

From the Start button on your Windows 7, please type cmd ..... but instead of hitting enter, hit ctrl-shift-enter

Damian-Answers :

what that should do is either prompt for admin rights OR load a command prompt with administrator access

Damian-Answers :

after you see that command prompt please type: netsh winsock reset

Customer :

and then...

Damian-Answers :

unfortunately, then you need to restart your computer. Before you do that....to ensure you can rejoin this chat, please bookmark this page and load it when you return after the reboot.

Customer :

so by having this the computer will restart and with bookmark can i get you back?

Damian-Answers :

as long as you bookmark this chat in your web browser and then click on that bookmark upon your return, you should be able to rejoin this chat =]

Customer :

OK thanks.

Damian-Answers :

alright, see you again soon.

Customer :

i am back.

Damian-Answers :

welcome back!

Damian-Answers :

please try Control Panel -> iCloud now and see if you are able to login

Damian-Answers :

for a lot of users, that earlier command did the trick. If it didn't for you that means something is preventing your computer from communicating with the Apple servers.

Customer :

no i can't sign in.

Damian-Answers :

Bummer. It appears that you may have some security software (either firewall, anti-spyware, or anti-virus) preventing access to the server. There is an article here that can help shed some light on how you might be able to get around this issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4175?viewlocale=en_US

Damian-Answers :

I do feel I can now provide a summary of my findings and options available to you.

Damian-Answers :

The photostream optiuon was a long shot as you mentioned it was not enabled previously anyways.

Damian-Answers :

Based off our discussion and troubleshooting, it appears that you unfortunately did not have an iCloud backup of your phone while it had version 6.1.2 and you also did not have a local backup recently enough to include the bulk of your photos.

Damian-Answers :

Photostream MAY have some of your photos once you are able to login to the iCloud control panel, but as mentioned, its a long-shot.

Damian-Answers :

I think we may have exhausted the free / easy ways to recover your photos and now must recommend a specially designed recovery software for you to try.

Damian-Answers :

There is a windows version of the software found here: http://www.datas-recovery.com/static/Recover-Lost-Photos-from-iPhone-with-iOS-7-iPhone-Photo-Recovery.html

Damian-Answers :

I would install that software and follow the "Recover Lost Photos from iPhone directly" tutorial.

Damian-Answers :

It should help you get to the photos if there are any traces (even deleted) on your iPhone's memory card.

Damian-Answers :

I've had many friends in your same boat, so I do apologize that there is no easier solution at this time; however I hope I have delivered nothing but excellent service in this conversation. Would you say that I have done that?

Damian-Answers :

If its any consolation, my friend who had a similar experience after a huge 6-month trip to South America, WAS able to recover his photos with the method I outlined.

Customer :

yes i would say that, what is this link U mentioned, U want me to try it or ...?

Damian-Answers :

Just a note, the only way I am able to get compensated for my helping you out today is with a positive review. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with before we close out today?

Damian-Answers :

oh....the link http://www.datas-recovery.com/static/Recover-Lost-Photos-from-iPhone-with-iOS-7-iPhone-Photo-Recovery.html has a piece of software designed for your issue

Damian-Answers :

its meant to help recover photos when there are no backups available.

Damian-Answers :

It mentions IOS7, but should work for your needs as well

Customer :

I said that you did good job. Thanks. if i remember something helpful can i contact U?

Damian-Answers :

I would give it a shot as I think special software designed for this issue is your best route to getting to your photos. Please review my customer service via the happy faces and feel free to request me in the future should you have any computer/phone related questions.

Damian-Answers :

You can request me or follow-up with me here: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-damian-answers/

Customer :

I will, thanks A lot.

Experience: For 29 yrs I have been solving technology problems. My goal is get you back to what you would rather be doing ASAP!