John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

my notes that are clouded with my iPad are appearing in my

my notes that are clouded with my iPad are appearing in my in box in my gmail account. Even when I delete them they keep reappearing in my gmail inbox
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

To confirm; you'd like to stop syncing notes from the Notes app on your iPad with gmail correct?

If so;

On your iPad, go to Settings,

then tap “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”.

Click on “Gmail”

Locate the Notes option and turn it off.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John - Did you get my reply. What you suggested did not work. Notes was already turned off on my iPad

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patti.

It doesn't look like your previous reply posted.

If you create a new note on the iPad does it still appear in gmail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John, it is notes and reminders that I have put into the iPad weeks and months ago. They have been deleted from the iPad but they keep reappearing in the lower gmail account (all mail)

I don't understand on my iMAC why the gmail account under inbox seems to be different from the gmail account at the bottom where it says all mail. The notes and reminders are appearing again after they have been deleted.

Why does it appear that there are two inboxes for the gmail account

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok are you accessing gmail via the OS X mail app or via the gmail website through Safari?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John - I am not sure how I am accessing gmail. How can we check it?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What icon do you click on to bring up gmail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I click on Patti's Gmail in Mailboxes (under Inbox) on the left side at the top of my iMac. I do not click on an icon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my response? I don't click on an icon. I open mail and click on Patti's gmail in Inboxes at the top left of the screen under mailboxes.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes but how do you "open mail"? You have to be using an application of some sort in order to see the inboxes, etc... Most users would be using the Apple Mail app (the icon is of a postage stamp) or through Safari (the icon is a compass).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I use the icon at the bottom of the iMac - the postage stamp to open mail

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. That's what I figured.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the version is 10.7.5

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,

Gmail is a bit odd in that all messages are not always deleted. You may remove them from the inbox and they will go to All Mail instead of the trash.

All Mail is essentially an archive but it's confusing to many people.

Open Mail

In the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Mail and choose Preferences.

Select Accounts

Select your gmail account.

Select Mailbox Behaviors

Under the section for Trash are both options selected and is it configued to delete mail after a certain time period?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is checked for MOVE DELETED MESSAGES TO TRASH MAILBOX

It is NOT checked for STORE DELETED MESSAGES FROM THE SERVER

PERMANENTLY ERASE DELETED MESSAGES WHEN ONE MONTH OLD.

Most of these notes that are in all mail are last May and June and they keep coming back into the All Mail account after I have deleted them

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand. Currently your gmail account is behaving so that All Mail messages are archived and not deleted but hopefully we can fix that shortly.

Okay, place a check mark next to the second option.

Next click on the Account Information tab.

What does it list for Account Type:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I have checked the second option.

The account type is Google IMAP

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, good.

Now I want you to sign in to your gmail account via the following link:

https://mail.google.com/

Once signed in, click the gear icon near the upper right of the page and choose "Settings"

Select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"

Look for "When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:" and set it to "
Auto-Expunge off"

Look for "
When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:" and set it to "Move the message to the Trash"

Click Save Changes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK done - I made the changes. I had a bit of trouble finding the gear icon near the upper right and now my iMac is full screen and I can't see any of the Mac icons that are always at the bottom like the postage stamp etc. How do I get the regular screen back?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it sounds like you made the window full-screen. Move your mouse up into the far top right corner of the screen. The menu bar at the top should reveal itself. Click the blue icon with the two arrows inside of it.

Additionally, while signed in to Gmail via the website. You may wish to simply hide the All Mail folder from view of your Mac if you use it for nothing else.

While still in Settings, click "Labels".

Remove the check mark from "Show in IMAP" that is on the same row as All Mail.

If you Quit Restart the Apple Mail app then All Mail should vanish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John:

That seemed to work and I have removed the ALL Mail account. Does this mean that notes, tasks, reminders will not be connected in any way to my gmail account? Is there anything else I need to do?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing you might do is verify that your iPad will delete gmail email instead of archiving, as well.

On the iPad;

tap Settings.

tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

tap the Gmail account under Accounts.

Make sure Archive Messages is turned OFF.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John:

You get an excellent rating from me. Have a great day.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question:

Now under Sent in the upper part of the left side Patti's Gmail account is listed but there are no sent messages in there.

Further down under Patti's Gmail there is also a sent mail category and all of my sent messages are in there. Can we set it up so they only appear in the upper sent section where my other two e-mail accounts are?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Open Mail

Select Accounts

Select your gmail account.

Select Mailbox Behaviors

Is there a check mark next to "Store Messages on the server"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John:
Did you receive my last question?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. ;-)

This was my last reply;

Open Mail

Select Accounts

Select your gmail account.

Select Mailbox Behaviors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MAILBOX BEHAVIOR

store drafts is checked off

store notes is checked off

store sent messages is checked off

store deleted messages is checked off

store junk is NOT CHECKED OFF

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
To clarify; by "checked off" do you mean there is a check mark present?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES, THERE IS A CHECK MARK PRESENT ON ALL OF THEM EXCEPT JUNK MAIL

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.

Close Preferences and try this to see if it works;

Select the Sent folder for Gmail in the Mail.app sidebar with the sent mail in it then go to the Mailbox menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen and look down near the bottom for the "Use This Mailbox For" menu.

Choose Sent in there and that should make the Gmail-based Sent folder the default place for Mail.app to save outgoing mail. It will also appear to move that [Gmail]/Sent folder out of the Gmail section and up to the top-most Mailboxes section below Inbox, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That worked John and now there is only one sent box and it is below the other two sent boxes for our other two accounts. It is now gone from down below under gmail.

There are still two trash buckets on the sidebar. Can we get rid of the one down below under gmail and have just one that all trash goes into from all three e-mail addresses?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to repeat the previous procedure and this time choose Trash under "Use This Mailbox For"...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John:

Thank you. It worked and now there is only one Trash bucket. It has 4 sub categories - On My Mac, Patti Home, Andrew Home and Patti's Gmail.

The one for On My Mac is empty. What is it for?

We only have the three e-mail address and I have not seen this On My Mac trash folder on the sidebar before.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
The On My Mac sub-mailbox would be filled any time you are deleting mail that is not stored on the server. It's nomal if it shows up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again John. You have been really great to deal with.
If I have any other issues can I deal with you directly??
Have a great evening.
Best regards,
Patti
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I've been happy to help.

Yes, I can be reached directly via the following page:

In any question you submit, simply make a remark that you wish to work with me as well and I will usually get notification shortly and get back to you when I am working.