Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

I just downloaded Google Earth Pro and am running 10.8.4 on

I just downloaded Google Earth Pro and am running 10.8.4 on my 2008 Mac Pro with 32 G of RAM. I have installed an ATI Radeon HD 5870 as an upgrade to the original graphics card. GEP will not load without crashing. I have tried clearing the cache and the myplaces.kml. What do I do now? I just spent $400 for the pro for my business.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

When it does crash, does it give you any error? If so, what is the error that displays or is recorded in the log?

Also, have you tried disabling 'Atmosphere' in the view settings?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

THIS IS THE START OF THE ERROR MESSAGE. TOO LONG FOR RESPONSE BOX. I CAN;\'T DISABLE ATMOSPHERE BECAUSE THE GEP DOESN'T FINISH LOADING

Process: Google Earth [1105]
Path: /Applications/Google Earth Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Earth
Identifier: com.Google.GoogleEarthPro
Version: 7.1 (7.1.1.1888)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [143]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2013-08-14 14:19:56.102 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
Report Version: 10

Interval Since Last Report: (NNN) NNN-NNNNsec
Crashes Since Last Report: 72
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 438 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 72
Anonymous UUID: 6432ACDB-3864-82BA-9095-E91F353B20A9

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update Daniel.

If you have not already done so, please, complete the process below:
Close Google Earth Pro
Go to Finder.
Hold the key down.
Click on the "Go" menu at top.
Select the Library.
In the Library folder find the Preference folder.
Delete any files that are named "com.Google.GoogleEarth.plist" ( or similar - see screenshot below)

Open Google Earth Pro and test it out. If it crashes again, please, try disabling all the extra layers that you don't need and re-test. I have seen this problem many times. More often than I would expect, is that the issue is related to the "National Geographic" layer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

didn't work and now I'm getting "you have activated GEP too many times" and it will not let me start up .

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update.

Open GEP, and in the top menu, click Help > Deactivate Google Earth Pro License > Deactivate All Computers.

That may take up to 2 hours for the deactivation process to complete.

Once that is complete, uninstall GEP from your Mac, restart the Mac, and reinstall the GEP application.

Once that is complete, re-test it.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Reinstalled,still will not start up. deleted cache, myplaces.kml,always seems to crash after trying to load myplaces

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

When it still doesn't start up, what exactly occurs?

Do you start the application, but absolutely nothing shows?
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry I lost contact. Please try a screen sharing session

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello Daniel,

Please, post a message here when you are ready for to start the remote link.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Im ready

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=37dd6bb1-8055-4ff0-9d21-f2799ae6e036

Then on that page click the button that says, "Join Session".

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello Daniel,

It finally just connected.

You are not at the Mac.

Please, let me know when you are ready to continue.

Thank you,
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your time.

It took a whole lot longer than expected and I appreciate your time.

- Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.