ehabtutor
ehabtutor, Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor of computer science, 5+ years experience in software development, software company owner
13535664

Mac doesnt display Excel doc margins right Hello. I feel

Mac doesn't display Excel doc margins right
Hello. I feel a bit silly for asking this, but it's been driving me crazy. I have a MacBook Pro (OS 10.7.5), bought in Japan, with Japanese Microsoft Office for Mac 2011. The language is set to English on the Mac. I have a Sony Vaio with Windows 7, also Japanese system, that I use mostly for work. I create documents mostly in Word and Excel. My problem is that the docs I create on my Windows computer (actually any Windows computer) don't display properly when I try to open them with the Mac. In particular, my Excel documents always run over into another page in the Mac, even though I check and the margins are set the same. This is the main reason why I don't use my Mac for work, because it's really frustrating for me. These aren't spreadsheets; they are classroom handouts. Everything is set to A4 size on both computers, so I can't figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions?
I know one answer would be to just do Bootcamp and use "regular" Windows, but I was hoping to find a solution that would enable me to use things as they are.
Category: Mac
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 1 year ago.

ehabtutor :

Hi

ehabtutor :

welcome to just answer

ehabtutor :

it would be my pleasure to assist you on this

ehabtutor :

tell me when you are ready to chat

Customer:

I'm ready. Thank you.

ehabtutor :

did you try going toExcel printing preferences setting it to one page wide and one page tall

Customer:

no I didn't...let me just try that now

ehabtutor :

ok

Customer:

Sorry...I'm working in Japanese here....is that under the print menu?

ehabtutor :

let me try to get you a screenshot

Customer:

thank you very much!

Customer:

I just found it!

ehabtutor :

it should be under file -> page setup

ehabtutor :

and in the fit to section set it to 1 page wide

ehabtutor :

1 page tall

Customer:

I never knew that was there!

Customer:

You are a super genius!

ehabtutor :

:)

ehabtutor :

Thank you very much

ehabtutor :

however to apply this to all your worksheets You have to select all the worksheets and then do the change.
Hold the shift or command key while clicking them.

ehabtutor :

Don't forget to leave me a positive rating as it helps me help you better. A bonus will be highly appreciated

Customer:

OK. Now......to complicate things...some of my worksheets have more than one page. I assume this will not work. Or, rather, that it will make everything one page.

ehabtutor :

you can only select one page wide

ehabtutor :

and don't specify the one page tall option

ehabtutor :

you can apply this for a single worksheet or a group by selecting a bunch of them then applying the page setup

Customer:

Aha. Like I said, super genius. Thank you so much. This has been driving me up the wall for about 3 years!

ehabtutor :

wow 3 years

ehabtutor :

:D

Customer:

I know...I just gave up and used my vaio.

Customer:

Poor little MacBook

ehabtutor :

I am glad that i was able to help you get rid of this nightmare.

ehabtutor :

I think i deserve a nice bonus :D

Customer:

Now I can use it with confidence and not curse at it. Yes, you did. Many thank-yous. I

Customer:

Yes, I think you do, too!

Customer:

OK....I'll be sure and ask you if I have more such questions. Thanks again!

ehabtutor :

In case you need my help anytime, just post a question starting with " To Ehab Tutor" and i will be at your help

Customer:

Will do. Have a nice morning!

ehabtutor :

you too

ehabtutor, Software Engineer
Experience: Bachelor of computer science, 5+ years experience in software development, software company owner