Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi Ashik, I had the problem of my macbook pro not booting past

Hi Ashik, I had the problem of my macbook pro not booting past the apple logo and spinning gear. I followed the steps you provided for this issue. Solution 1 and 2 did not help. Then I ran the disk utility in single user mode. I allowed it to finish and it did say that my macintosh hd appears to be fine. Since it was done I typed reboot and hit enter. It rebooted the same way getting stuck on the apple logo with spinning gear. what should i do next? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Lindie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I expect a long wait for some suggested solutions?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm very sorry for the delay..Apologies. I wan't able to get online today until now.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.5.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I got the computer from a friend and don't have discs
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
First, we can check whether the problem is system wide or just related to your user account.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Reboot your Mac
  • Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account.
Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will be able to try in 1 or 2 hours
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok..Keep me updated. Good Luck :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck with that. Here's images of my screen if that helps...

before typing anything

after typing 2nd line and enter

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Try this; Type the following commands

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

(There is a space between -uw and / in first command, then another space after rm in second command)

Try again and please let me know if that didn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there also a space before -uw?

And do you want me to type the shutdown command third line?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there is. Forgot to mention that. Sorry

Yes, type the shutdown command and your Mac will turn off. Then turn it back on and your Mac will boot into the setup screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same problem. No such file or directory and still gets stuck on apple logo with spinning gear on reboot

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That means the problem is system related. Since terminal shows Macintosh HD is okay, the problem might be the system files and nothing hardware related. Unfortunately, our only option is reinstall the Mac OS X as you've already tried everthing so far. But we need the Mac OS X installation disc to reinstall the OS X. You have to buy the OS X discs. You can buy the 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail Discs, so that you can upgrade to latest OS X as well if needed.

You can buy Snow Leopard for $19.99 from Apple, eBay, Amazon etc. See here : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Once you get the disc, just put it on your Mac, restart and immediately hold down C key on your keyboard to boot into it. After booting into the disc, follow the onscreen instructions to renstall the OS X. This will not erase anything from your Mac, but only replace the system files with new one. That should fix the problem.

Let me know what you think....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just found the os x installation disc. The first one is installing now. Will I be using the 2nd disc?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, sorry for the delayed response. Your files should be there. Reinstalling will only replace the system files and won't touch your files. Make sure you don't do erase and install.

Your Mac will ask for the second disc automatically when it finished the first one. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok got the OS X installed and it boots up fine. My disc was apparently for OS X 10.4.6. But it seems to be working fine and I found where my other files are stored. I downloaded an image manipulation program called Gimp that I've always used on my Mac. But when I click on the gimp-2.8.6-setup.exe it says there is no default application specified to open it. I have the option to choose an application to open it but I don't know what to choose. I did have OS X 10.5.8 before so I don't know if downgrading has something to do with it or not.

After downloading Gimp I found out that it was apparently still on my computer but when I click to open it nothing happens so I'm hoping to be able to open this setup file and reinstall the application. This is the main thing I use this computer for.

Maybe I downloaded the windows version of Gimp. I don't know.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
gimp-2.8.6-setup.exe is an Windows executable file and it won't work on your Mac. .exe files are designed for Windows.

You can download Gimp for Mac from here here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimponosx/

I'd recommend to buy the 10.6 Snow Leopard installation discs and upgrade your Mac to it. 10.4 Tiger is very old and Apple stopped updating it long time ago. So there is no security of using it, especially on web as your computer is vulnerable to threats like viruses, spyware etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Here is Gimp for Tiger : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimponosx/GIMP-2.6.11-Tiger.dmg?use_mirror=

Was hard to find the correct version online, but got it. Let me know if it asked to install X11
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc