Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi Daniel!! having issues with itunes and apple tv

Hi Daniel!!

having issues with itunes and apple tv

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Lindie

Have you tried restarting the Apple TV? What exactly do you mean by "sync"? The Apple TV should show up here:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes i can see the apple tv there, but when i buy new things from itunes (tv shows and movies) they do not sync with my apple tv device. and i cant stream movies and tv shows

and very often i am prompted to agree to Apple terms and conditions when i click on the itunes shortcut.... then i have to log into itues again...

Sorry site is slow. Ok that is done when the Apple TV connects to your account over the internet not through iTunes are you sure it is setup correctly? Have you checked the account on the Apple TV?

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes that part is correct, i have just checked again and in any case i am able to purchase from itunes directly from my apple tv

Are you sure they are both on the same account? If so Sign Out on the Apple TV and then sign back in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just did that... and still can not see apple tv in my side bar... and cant sync the new things from itunes

On the Apple TV, using the AppleTV remote, select Settings menu and then Computers.

Highlight Add iTunes Library and click ok to continue.

The Apple TV (1st generation) generates a unique passcode. Make a note of the passcode.

If that does not work:

Try this:
  1. Select "Computers" from "Settings" Menu.
  2. Select your "greyed out" iTunes library.
  3. This will bring up a window named "Disconnect from iTunes"
  4. You're now given the choice to Cancel, or disconnect. WITH THE WARNING that if you disconnect any content synced with iTunes, will be erased. (in fact it will be removed from your ATV but not your computer)
  5. Assuming ALL of your media IS on your computer, Go ahead and disconnect.
  6. Follow instructions in the Apple doc above about setting up your ATV as a paired computer.
  7. After you ATV gen1 reappears in the sidebar. Reset all your desired syncing preferences,
  8. Begin syncing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have done this already quite a few times (maybe 5 or 6) and it takes forever to sync everything, which would be ok if the same thing didnt keep happening.

every time i do this, it is ok for a while and then it happens again.

does it have anything to do with itues prompting me to accept terms and conditions. It seems to go wrong every time that happens

On the Mac please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry!! still on PC... Undecided

itunes 11.0.4.4

and apple tv (1st gen) version is 3.0.2

OK go to iTunes / File / Home Sharing and turn it off then turn it back on and sign in again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok... did that... still nothing itunes

its strange that itunes can see the apple tv, and i can stream music... but i just cant sync

when i turn the apple tv off, the icon at the top "choose which speakers to use" disappears. and re appears when i turn it on

Well yes it would do that. I would try Resetting the Apple TV and set it up again from scratch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in the aple tv, computers- i can see that my itunes library is in light grey and add shared itunes library is in white.....

could it be that my settings in itunes is wrong?

can you sync your itunes and stream as well?

If you Reset All Settings you can set it up again to be sure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok.. can you please tell me exactly how to set it up correctly to avoid this happening again?

i will also remove itunes and reinstall that as well...

Funny thing is mine was just doing that it kept asking for a computer with my me.com address not my mac.com address which is what shows up in Tunes. I Reset it and then it worked. Go to Settings / Reset / Reset All Settings then connect to your Wifi again and sign in to iTunes Store

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks... and what about the correct settings in itunes? I think that might be an issue as well.

If you already turned off Home Sharing and sigined in again that should be ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you have any idea why it keeps prompting me to accept the itunes licensing agreement every so often when i try and open itunes? i think this is also cause of problems

Make sure you have checked Apple Software Update
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

and what are the correct settings in itunes please? I will reinstall that as well and make sure everything is correct

Just sign in to the same iTunes Store account and then turn on Home Sharing in iTunes / File / Home Sharing. That's it.
Do you have any virus or security software installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, mcafee

You might try turning it off if the problem persists, just to see.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok... i will try that if it happens again..

thanks

k
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi!

I reset the factory setting on my Apple TV and Reinstalled Itunes... set up everything and started syncing. working fine. started and stopped itunes a few times... no issues

now i have just started itunes, it again prompted me to accept the license agreement and now i have the same problem... cant see apple tv in itunes and in apple tv comupter... my itunes library is no longer white but light grey...

please advise.... as you can imagine i am not happy after having just spent $38 to solve this yesterday!

thanks

What version of Windows are you using? Have you run Windows Update lately?
It seems there is a problem with McAfee software and iTunes. See here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22219735#22219735

Try turning off Real Time Scanning for a while after you have done what you did to make it work again. If it doesn't happen again then that is most likely the cause. They should be making some kind of update to fix it soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Thanks... these are from June and still no solution from Mcafee... maybe i will get rid of it all together... Norton any good?

I recomend AVG never had any problems. Norton should be ok too

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download