Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products

Hello, I have an iMac OSX 10.6. When trying to start up the

UPDATE: we are able to see the Hard Drive in the Disk Utility but  it is highlighted in red and now we receive a message that says "This drive has a hardware problem that can't be repaired." Do you know what this means and how we can fix it?

Thank you so much!

Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

From the information you've provided I would confirm that the hard drive has encountered a catastrophic failure. In short, the drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you've employed TimeMachine, you need just replace the hard drive, reinstall OS X with the DVD provided and then during installation recover your TimeMachine back-up.

NOTE: There was a recall a while back on certain iMac hard drives and Apple was replacing them free of charge. Check you model it may be covered.

Reply back if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I take the computer into the Apple store, will they be able to replace the Hard Drive? Or, can I do that fairly easily on my own?

Second question - I have an external hard drive that I use to back up my files (I believe it connects through Time Machine). Will this have saved my applications as well? I'm worried about losing such programs as Adobe Creative Suite.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome!

Yes, any Apple Genius Bar (located in an Apple retail store) can replace the drive. Make sure you make an appointment ahead of time. Replacing it yourself is possible. iFixIt may have the instructions here for your model iMac. It also provides step by step instructions which may be helpful for you to review first.

TimeMachine defaults to backing up the entire drive so if the restore process should bring back all data and programs seamlessly.

Here's a link to the Seagate replacement article: In the article you'll see a link to the Genius Bar so you can make an appointment, if needed.

Best of luck!