John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

i dropped my phone. iPhone 4s. the screen went "blue streaks"

i dropped my phone. iPhone 4s. the screen went "blue streaks" tried a hard reset and just have a blue line down the middle of a black screen now. Ideas? Thanks.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Did you by chance purchase an AppleCare+ warranty on this iPhone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure. Perhaps.. My wife will know. Any ideas for right now?
Thanks, Chip.

How did you normally sync this iPhone? If it was via iTunes (or if you don't mind losing information) then you can try the following which will cure any software issue.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the device, clear any pass codes, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:
(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

* Open iTunes on your computer

* Connect the device directly to a USB port on the computer

* Turn off the device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

If the above does not work or iTunes won't recognize the iPhone then it is most probably a hardware issue (which is my gut feeling currently).

if you have damaged the phone this will not officially be covered under the normal limited warranty provided by Apple BUT it will be under AppleCare+. It would be only $49 under AppleCare+ replacement service but otherwise you would need to pay normal repair costs.

If this does not work out and you choose to use a reputable 3rd party repair service, I would recommend using iResQ. They're pretty much the nation's premier iPhone service center and have bene for a good number of years.

They offer fast, free diagnostics and very fair repair prices.

They can make a quick, free diagnosis and economical repair for you for as little as $89.00.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,