David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

how do I manually backup my MacBook to iCloud and how do i

how do I manually backup my MacBook to iCloud and how do i set it up so it will back up automatically in the future?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

The iCloud backup is automatic, and doesn't have a manual setting in System Preferences.

Is there something that is not backing up?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How do I confirm that the MacBook is actually automatically being backed up on iCloud?

For my iPhone and iPad, i can see a log of the back up dates in iCloud but the log shows no similar evidence for backing up dates for the MacBook.

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

There is no log of transfers and it's all done automatically by iCloud. In System Preferences - iCloud, make sure Notes is ticked, then open the Notes application in /Applications/

Click the View menu and click Show Folder List. Select iCloud if there is more than one. Click File - New Note, and type in some text.

Now go to iCloud.com and log in. Verify that the new note has been synced to the iCloud.

You can do the same for all the items that are selected in System Preferences - iCloud.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks. I don't use Notes but I do use the Calendar and I added a new update to the Calendar on my desktop and it was updated on the iCloud website.

Since iTunes does not show up in iCloud.com, can I assume that any updates to my iTunes library are also automatically updated by iCloud??

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

iCloud will store your purchases from the iTunes Store in iCloud, and those are available from all signed in devices.

If you want to add your own music to iCloud you need a separate subscription to iTunes Match.

There is more information on it here:
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/itunes-in-the-cloud/

If you want to test normal iTunes in iCloud you can purchase on any signed in device and check iTunes on another device for the track.

Match is a different thing, and you need to be a subscriber. I have it and am very happy with it. One thing it does is replace all of you music with the higher quality iTunes versions.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm using iMatch as well and like it.

Thanks for you help in deciphering the relationships with these products. I'm always at a loss to understand how they all work together.

Thank you.

Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

You're very welcome :)

Have a great day, and feel free to request me for any Mac questions in future ;)

Kind regards,
David.