David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

my chooser wont hold (set) my printer. I am told to restart.

my chooser wont hold (set) my printer. I am told to restart. when I opt for my printer it doesn't work.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Please click the Apple menu in the top left, and click About This Mac.

What version of OS X does it say is installed?

What type of Mac is this, and when was it purchased?

What is the make and model of printer.

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

os9 power mac 7100av very old hp desk writer 560c

Has this just started to happen? have you added any new peripherals or PCI cards?

Can you describe the things that are happening a bit more.

When do you see a restart message> Describe the restart message a bit.

When you are adding your printer, does it add, but then it is not there after restart? If that is the case can you print once?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

everything is already set up. I have been using the system for years without any problem. now when I pull down the chooser there is no device selected, then I select my printer and its highlighted. When I turn off my chooser and turn it back on the printer I selected is no longer highlighted. This causes the error message "your (something) has unexpectedly quit. save your stuff and restart your computer."

This could be an extensions issue, which we can troubleshoot. If extensions troubleshooting doesn't work then we will look for replacement drivers, and if this fails a clean install is required.

We will use extensions manager troubleshooting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2976

Please start the Mac using the Base Extensions, plus the printer extension. Then try to recreate the problem.

Let me know if you have any questions about the article or the steps.

Sincerely,
David.

Extensions troubleshooting is not straightforward at first glance, let me know how you get on with the extensions manager, and if you need help setting up a new set.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

David I don't think its extensions. The notice I got was "The application 'Microsoft Word' has unexpectedly quit, because error type 1 occured. You should save your work in other open applications and restart your computer."

Does the error type 1 help?

Charles

Hi Charles,

Are there other applications that you can try to print from?

Please try a test document in a non Microsoft application, such as SimpleText.

Regards,
David.
Hi Charles,

I would like to find out it the printing is OK first, then move onto the Word issue.

If printing is OK, then we can work through this document:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322008

If that doesn't help us we will need the discs for Word. Do you have those?

Regard,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

David, how do I know if the printing is ok. It has been. The error report keeps me from the printer.
Charles

Hi Charles,

Can you open something no Microsoft Office? Can you open SimpleText? If not is there any other non Microsoft application you can open and try?

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

David, my previous answer was wrong, but it proved the printer was ok. when I tried to back to getting an address on Microsoft I have the same problem - getting the error message. Where do we go from here?
Charles

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the delay, I'm having some issues with my ISP.

That's great, we have realised that printing is OK.

Next thing to know is whether Office is OK, and the problem is just a particular document.

Can you open and try print a new Word document, or a document from a different Office application.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just typed in word and then printed it fine.

Hi Charles,

Very sorry again for the delay. I am having problems with my ISP, and I'm not the only one here that has the connection issues, so it is the ISP.

That's fantastic, so it is isolated to a corrupted document.

Have you tried printing that original document since?

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

David it is the envelope addresser part of Word. It is still the problem. Does error type 1 mean anything? Do I need to go over the printing instructions for addressing the envelope? Advise.

Cnarles[

Hi Charles,

Good to hear we are narrowing it down.

Error type 1 is very broad, it can mean a lot of things.

Can you create a new envelope to try? Is it the same?

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried it and it worked. While I can't be sure about anything the problem seems to have left. Lets call it fixed.

The problem could have been lots of things, and in the end was a corrupt document. it's always best to take a step back and take broader troubleshooting steps to identify an issue, before diving in headfirst with more technical stuff.

I'm glad that with my help we have managed to come to a conclusion. Please take a moment to rate my help, and feel free to request me again in future.

Kind regards,
David.