David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

My imacs screen turns black and it doesnt turn back on unless

Customer Question

My imac's screen turns black and it doesn't turn back on unless we restart the computer but after a few minutes of using the computer the screen turns black again. what should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

How old is the iMac, when was it purchased?

In the steps you tried so far you say you erased the hard drive. Can you confirm that you did not recover the data on the hard drive from a backup after erasing it?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I did not recover data last time I reinstalled osx . Mac was purchased in 2012 june 4 in EU, Hungary, but I am in Romania.

I think I shoul take it back to the shop.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

There are a couple of things to make sure of, that could solve it.

Are there any peripherals attached?

When you say you reinstalled OS X, did you erase the disk before you did that?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did erase the disk, there are no peripherals attaced, as i read the instructions. Now I tryed turning it on, bu after the gray screen with logo on it, screen turned black not even opening osx

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

What type of power source is it connected to? Do you have it plugged in directly to a wall socket, or into a surge protector or power strip of any kind?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is connected via power strip

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Then we can reset the SMC and connect it directly to a power outlet. There could be something wrong with the power strip, or there could be another device on the power strip causing a power problem.

The SMC is reset by leaving the iMac disconnected from power for at least 60 seconds.

Disconnect it from power, and connect it directly to the mains outlet, then power on the iMac.

Do you hear the startup chime?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done that, for now it works, let's see for how long. The beck of it gets pretty hot after functioning. and during hardware testing program it got very hot and I heared no cooler. Ok, i'll try some video and a game annd tell you what happens

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Is it used in a hot environment? Is there good flow of fresh air underneath, where the fan intake is?

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is in an old house, let's say now with air temperature of 26 degrees celsius

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That is a warm environment, and that is why the iMac is getting warm. Air flow is also very important. The underneath should be kept clear, and there should be good ventilation.

There is no worry of it causing a problem, as there are sensors in it that will switch it off it it gets too hot.

Is it still working well now? Try powering it off and leaving it for 2 to 3 minutes, and powering it on.

Does it still come on OK?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will restart it in a few minutes, now downloading the game from apple store, and I will tel you how it starts, and how it works , i'll also show you the temperatures . thak's

how can I send you pic of the screen ?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

You can send me a pic using the attachment icon above the text box. If you are using Safari, you should download FireFox instead to send me a pic.

To take a pic of the screen, press Command + Shift + 3

I can also set up a remote desktop session, where I can see your screen.

Is there something in particular that you want me to know about?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Those are within normal operating ranges, and not anything to worry about. The sensor temperatures are reading from the very surface of the silica chip, and it is normal for those to get very hot. That's why a computer needs so much cooling in the first place. Those temperatures are fine, and they are right in the core of the iMac which is normal.

If you want cooler temperatures you can try to find a way to cool down the ambient air temperature and increase ventilation.

We are getting some hot summer weather across Europe at the moment and I expect this will raise the ambient temperature, but at those readings you have nothing to worry about.

Please feel free to ask me any follow up questions after you rate, or any further Mac questions in the future you can request me :)

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1.what is the easiest way to recover data and programs from external drive used to back up ( or should I reinstall all of them ? )

2 did the time machine back up data the were saved in windows folders , used via parallel desktop ?

3 if a non apple technician would clean my imac, screen, inside components etc from dust and smoke, do I loose warranty ?

I restarted computer and it works perfectly !

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
HI Marian,

That's really great, and it shows the source of the problem was the power source not the iMac.

It's far easier to reinstall programs than to transfer them from a backup. A program installer puts all of the files where they need to go, and sets the right owner and permissions, while transferring them manually can lead to mistakes.

Time Machine doesn't back up individual items within Parallels, instead it backs up the Parallels Virtual Machine file all in one go. That means it backs up the entire disk that parallels uses for Windows.

You don't void the warranty doing that, but if anything happens then it is not covered by warranty. It is not worth risking it unless the technician doing it will agree to cover the cost of any accidental damage done when working on it.

Let me know if you have any questions, and request me in future with any new Mac questions that come up.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much David, I was almost on my way to Hungary to bring the mac back to that store ! Couldn't imagine such a minor thing could do such great disorder ! :)))) And I read about it, but never tryed to apply it thinking it can not be that simple. Thanks again, hope it will work for a long time !

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marian :)

I have been using and learning more about computers all the time, for a long time now. I've been to college to learn about them, and I worked for Apple for over 5 years. I have found that the more I know, the better it is to think in the easiest and simplest terms. That and experience means I work like a detective and try to see the bigger picture first, then narrow it down. So it does appear a simple thing, but it's how you approach the problem. Believe me there are times when I scratch my head and then it turns out to be something obvious and simple, but I do not think myself any less good with computers for that.

I'm glad I saved you the trip and that it was worth your while asking your question :)

Ask me any other Mac questions in future, and recommend me to your friends :D

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David, hi. For 5 days it worked excellent but... It happened again a few minutes ago. The screen was for a second grey with darker grey vertical strips, then it got dark but shiny for 30 seconds or so, and after that it was black, I needed to restart the mac. At that time I was doing nothing, not playing, not watching anything.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marian,

Did you keep it in the same mains outlet or move it back onto a power socket strip?

Did you connect any new hardware? Or plug in anything new in the same socket strip?

Does it start up normally now?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is plugged the same way, alone. That was a few hours ago, I restarted it and it is working now fine. Hope it won't happen again, but I am still worried

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marian,

It could have been a kernel panic, just a random problem can cause a shutdown. There are steps to check hardware if it continues and we suspect that it is. If those test don't find a problem with hardware then it's probably a damage Operating System, which is not serious and can be fixed easily.

Let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will, thank you :)

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It happened again, I was not in the room and found it with black screen, as it would have been in sleeping mode, but it did not react at any action, even if the computer was running. Had to turn it off using start button and then turn it on again. About the previous stop, I don't think itt was a kernell panic becouse the mac kept on running and I had to turn it off, and there was no report, which usually appears after kernel panic.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marian,

Now we need to inspect the hardware.

Please try the steps here:
support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Let me know if it passes or fails, and if there are any error messages, or if there are any questions.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The result is : no troubles found

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marian,

First plug out the iMac for 3 minutes.

This now brings us back to the OS, which can be repaired.

First use Safe Boot, it repairs at startup.

When you power on, press and hold Shift until you see the spinning gear.

Then when you get to Desktop, restart.

Then test again for a time.

let me know how it goes.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did all you told me, we'll see if it works, thank you , I'll let you know :) Going to sleep now it's 3 am here ... Thank you !

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marian,

Let me know if anything changes.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David

It worked all day, but now in the evening it happened again. But I could not restart it not even if I have tried safe mode, I tried testing hardware but at one moment the whole thing was blocked, not responding to anything. I thought I will never be abel to restart it again, but the 7th time I made it. Should I try anything else, or should I take it back to the seller ? At this time I am very disappointed.

Thank you

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marian,

I understand your disappointment. I would recommend that it be tested at an Apple Authorised Service provider. It sounds like a power supply issue, something the Apple Hardware Test doesn't find.

You can phone the tore that it was purchased from but I would also recommend calling Apple Support to find out your coverage. The number in your country is 0800 894847.

Let me know if you have questions following your contact with either Apple or the store where it was purchased, I will be happy to help.

Yours sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought it in Hungary not in Romania, so I thing I should take it to iStyle store in Debrecen. Shoul I call first Apple in Hungaria ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one more thing, when it got stacked in testing hardware with no response, it seemed to me that the upper back of the mac got very hot

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Call them from Romania, using the number for Romania, which is 0800 894847. The warranty is worldwide so they will handle it the same.

They will find out if you have extended warranty coverage or not, based on the serial number of the iMac.

They will ask you to lay the iMac flat, screen side down. So prepare a clear area of flat surface with a soft cloth to lay the iMac down. This is because the serial number is XXXXX on the base of the stand.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX them even if Bucharest is 10 times further than Debrecen ! I think I do have the right to 2 years warranty according to this http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

I bought it in July 2012

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi Marian,

It is good that you are aware of your consumer rights. Also there are EU directives on consumer rights, if this is not covered by the UK consumer rights.

Sincerely,

David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, I'll do it on monday, have a nice weekend :)

Marian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Marian :) You have a nice weekend too!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, trying to back up my work, the screen split in 2 with a dark strip in the middle, the right half of the screen was on the left and viceversa , I have one more question, shoul I erase the saved passwords and how in order to take it to the doctor :P

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
HI Marian,

Those error threads were from Finder crashing, and what is known as a kernel panic. That can be a hardware issue or software issue but in this case I think it's the hardware issue has eventually caused a kernel panic at this point.

Was it possible to restart to a point where you were backing up the drive?

Sincerely,
David.