Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products

My mac book air wont turn on and the fan keeps coming on ...

Customer Question

My mac book air won't turn on and the fan keeps coming on ... What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Isabella! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Have you tried the following yet: press & old the power button on the Macbook Air for a few seconds for it to power it off, then turn it back on and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. You can click on the Reply to Expert tab below and reply back to me. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No this did nothing but make the fan stop . Last time I used it the scren went blank for no reason .

I'm sorry; I just wanted to check if you had tried that first. If you turn on the laptop again, does the fan run again?

Have you ever tried to connect a monitor to the laptop? If you have a monitor, please test.

Thank you

Can you try these steps:

• Shut down the computer.
  • Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.

• Shut down the computer.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This did absoluely nothing
I'm sorry. The symptom is a hardware issue; the motherboard is likely damaged (or could be the screen). Is the laptop under warranty?
(61) 1-300-321-456

Thank you
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

I would concur with Viet's summation.

This sounds like a logic board (aka Motherboard) problem. If your Mac is still under warranty, you can take it to the Genius Bar at any Apple retail store and they will repair at no charge. And if not, they will perform and few tests and give you an estimate of the repair. This will allow you to confirm the problem and then you can fix it yourself or take your MBA to another repair facility.

Here's a link to you can make an appointment at the Genius bar of your choice:

Best of luck!