Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

After a few years of working, Microsoft "Word" will not open or let me

Customer Question

After a few years of working, Microsoft "Word" will not open or let me access a Word file. The following appears: Application Launch Failure. The application "Word" could not be launched because of a shared library error. ""

The computer is a MacMini 3.1. Word is part of Office 2004 for Mac.

How do I get it working again?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today

Customer :

OK, let's go.

Kamil Anwar :

What version is this Mac OS X?

Customer :

10.6.8

Kamil Anwar :

Please download this Combo Update

After downloading, reboot into "safe mode" to do the installation. Don't run any applications whilst the update is proceeding. Issue is with Apple not Microsoft.

Customer :

The software was installed with the computer. I have no discs.

Kamil Anwar :

Combo Update ? Was it installed already??

Customer :

I don't know. How can I tell?

Kamil Anwar :

Please reinstall it.

Kamil Anwar :

Do you know how to boot into safe mode?

Customer :

I need instructions.

Kamil Anwar :

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.

2. Press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

During startup in Mac OS X v10.4 through Mac OS X v10.6.8, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically. During startup in Mac OS X v10.2 through v10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

To leave Safe Mode, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.

Kamil Anwar :

First download the combo update, http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399 then reboot into safe mode and install it

Kamil Anwar :

Download Here

Customer :

How do I get back to you after that?

Customer :

How do I get back to you?

Kamil Anwar :

You can open Safari again, type in http://www.justanswer.com and log in to your account, once there, click on My Questions and you will be able to see this question

Kamil Anwar :

Click on the question, then you can reply me.

Kamil Anwar :

If for some reason, you are unable to come online through safe boot, then just restart the mac as normal and you will be able to come online.

Kamil Anwar :

Did this work?

Customer :

I don't know. I couldn't find the download when I rebooted in "safe mode". I looked for system upgrades and was told there were none to get.

Kamil Anwar :

can you see the download now?

Customer :

Where?

Kamil Anwar :

Downloads Folder for Safari

Kamil Anwar :

Should be in Safari Menu

Customer :

I use Firefox. Does it matter?

Kamil Anwar :

Windows/Downloads

Kamil Anwar :

Can you go to tools -> options -> main

Kamil Anwar :

it will show where the downloads folder is

Customer :

OK

Kamil Anwar :

Once you find the file, drag it to your desktop so that you can easily find it (when in safe boot)

Customer :

Found it. It says 6 min remaining. Do I go back into safe mode to install?

Kamil Anwar :

does it say 6 mins remaining when you dragged it to desktop?

Kamil Anwar :

or is it showing as 6 mins remaining for the download to be completed?

Customer :

I'm not sure. Probably download. It has its icon in desktop now. How do I install or tell if it is?

Kamil Anwar :

It seems to have been downloaded, can you reboot into safe mode, then try again and locate the file on your desktop, then run it.

Customer :

OK

Kamil Anwar :

I will wait for you to come back.

Customer :

I'm back. Installation was

Customer :

OK

Kamil Anwar :

Please try reopening the word now

Customer :

All right.

Kamil Anwar :

Is it working ?

Customer :

Same error message

Kamil Anwar :

Let me look for another solution

Kamil Anwar :

Did you recently update MAC ?

Customer :

several months ago. I needed to upgrade 1 level. It's one short of the top. I forgot what they're called. Has to do with lions and leopards.

Kamil Anwar :

Hmm, that may have caused the issue.

Kamil Anwar :

Let me have a look.

Kamil Anwar :

Go to http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Click to download Quicktime 7 for Tiger or Leopard.

Install / Reboot

Kamil Anwar :

Are you there?

Customer :

Do I have to go through "safe boot" again?

Kamil Anwar :

no

Customer :

OK

Kamil Anwar :

Please do respond after restart if its fixed.

Kamil Anwar :

Are you there?

Customer :

Yes. Same error message.

Kamil Anwar :

Unfortunately, the CarbonLib files have been corrupted during an update. You will need to reinstall the Mac OS.

Kamil Anwar :

If you don't then you will start noticing the same problem with other programmes too.

Kamil Anwar :

Did you restart after installing QuickTime?

Customer :

I think so but am not sure. I'll do it now.

Kamil Anwar :

Please do it

Customer :

Same answer

Kamil Anwar :

The carbonlib files have been corrupted, Mac needs to be reinstalled OR restored, which should take you back to the original version in the CD.

Kamil Anwar :

Reinstallation is a better option, because then you will reinstall fresh copies of softwares.

Customer :

Which I never got

Kamil Anwar :

Is there any important data on this system ?

Customer :

Yes. I'll have to back it up.

Kamil Anwar :

Please take a back-up then.

Kamil Anwar :

Please see Full Instructions here.

Kamil Anwar :

Once it has been re-installed, then upgrade it and then install any applications

Customer :

Kamil, I want to thank you. You were pleasant to work with. However, the problem wasn't solved, so I think I am entitled to a refund. Is there any way of doing that without giving you a low rating?

Kamil Anwar :

No problem, i will send a request to customer service to issue refund.

Kamil Anwar :

Thank you for your comments, i take that as a rating.

Kamil Anwar :

Shall i do that now? The chat will then be closed OR do you have any questions?

Kamil Anwar :

You do not need to rate this, the refund can be processed without the rating.

Customer :

Please make the request. I do thank you for the 3 hours we spent. For both of us, I wish it could have worked.

Kamil Anwar :

It was my pleasure to work with you on this, unfortunately we were unable to resolve the problem but you know which direction to take. Thank you for visiting JustAnswer. Take Care.

Kamil Anwar :

Refund request has been sent.

Customer :

Thanks