Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cannot import cds into my I tunes library, I just get about

Customer Question

I cannot import cds into my I tunes library, I just get about 30 seconds of the first song then the green arrows as if it is importing songs, then a few seconds of No 8, it then says the songs are unavailable, except for a small part of 2 songs. Hope you can help with this, i havent had any trouble importing before. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

What type of computer is it? Is it Mac or PC?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A PC

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi Constance,

I'm sorry that this is happening. I hope that we can get to the bottom of it through troubleshooting.

First of all, do you remember installing any new software since the last time you imported a CD to iTunes?

The reason I ask is that a software conflict is the most likely cause of this issue. It could be any software, even software for a new keyboard, mouse or even printer. Anything to do with drivers for new hardware, or any programs at all?

Secondly this could be a driver issue for the CD drive. Checking for updates could solve this nice and fast. Please open the following link and check if there are updates available, and if so please install them.

windowsupdate.microsoft.com

That may take a few seconds or it could take longer. Let me know how it goes, I will be here to get your reply whenever you can.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have installed an update called Microsoft Silverlight there are ather updates which are optional which I haven't installed.

No I havent had any new software

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Can you install all updates from Microsoft Windows Update.

Then we will most likely fully remove iTunes and reinstall it.

This is lengthy troubleshooting, but it's what is needed to remove driver conflict in these cases.

Please let me know when all updates are installed.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I will get Dell to help me, thanks all the same

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi Constance,

In my experience this type of issue takes a long time to troubleshoot no matter who does it.

The fastest route to success is by removing iTunes thoroughly and reinstalling it, thereby reinstalling the Gear drivers used by the optical drive to rip the CD.

For your information here is the article with the most thorough steps on removing iTunes.
support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

If you get no satisfaction from Dell, I will be happy to help you through this troubleshooting.

Please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have uninstalled itunes [very scary] and reinstalled but it has not fixed the problem.

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Uninstalling iTunes using Windows is not enough unfortunately. Windows programs do not exist as a single file and they leave files and folder all over the disk, as well as in the Windows Registry.

Add or Remove Programs feature, or uninstall programs do not thoroughly remove, and this is a real headache for troubleshooting. It's also why I said that this could be lengthy troubleshooting.

MY question is, did you follow the article I posted? It is very important to know if you followed it completely, not skipping any of it.

Thanks for you patience. This may sound daunting but I have lots of experience with it, and I will guide you through it at your pace.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I followed it completely removing everything relating to itunes

Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

That's great. Did you also check Windows Update, and install anything it finds?

windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Thanks in advance,
David.
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Have you been able to get this working?

You have done most of the steps required, there shouldn't be much more to do.

Please get back to me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
David.