jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair

I have a Macbook Pro (early 2011) that I would like to buy

I have a Macbook Pro (early 2011) that I would like to buy an external hard drive for as a backup. What brand and connection (USB or Firewire) do you recommend?
Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 8 months ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name isXXXXX will be happy to help you today

jstinehelfer :

After looking up the specifications for your computer I have found that you have the following

jstinehelfer :

• FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)

• Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

jstinehelfer :

As you can see the FireWire port will move much faster for you.

jstinehelfer :

Do you know how much data you have to backup?

Customer:

Any particular brand of external hard drive? I was thinking of Seagate. Thoughts?

jstinehelfer :

I have had many external drives over the years and I use them to backup many servers. I usually stick with either Seagate or Western Digital

jstinehelfer :

When I go to buy one I will compare the prices versus the size between those two vendors

jstinehelfer :

I have had really good luck with either one of them

jstinehelfer :

If you look on the Apple store they have Western Digital and LaCie

jstinehelfer :

Do you have a particular place you would by buying this and how much are you looking to spend?

Customer:

I'm looking at Seagate, but the one I want only has USB 3.0, but is backwards compatible to USB 2.0 at the 2.0 speed. I want to spend $100 or less.

jstinehelfer :

Yes even though you have the 2.0 it will work just fine.

jstinehelfer :

Seagate is a good drive

Customer:

Great, thanks! I suppose that since it is for backup, speed is really not a major factor...

jstinehelfer :

No space is the most important really.

jstinehelfer :

You can always set your backups to go in the middle of the night

jstinehelfer :

You want to make sure you have enough space for the data your going to be backing up

jstinehelfer :

You should be able to look at your hard drive and see how much data you have so you can pick the correct size

Customer:

I have a 500 GB hard drive and, because it is only $89, I thought I would go ahead and get the 1 TB. Is that a foolish thing to do?

jstinehelfer :

No not at all. You will find that going to 1TB is not that much more money

jstinehelfer :

I dont purchase anything less than 1tb

Customer:

Okay, thanks for your help!

jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair