John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I updated my Ipad 2 today and it somehow went into recovery

Customer Question

I updated my Ipad 2 today and it somehow went into recovery mode forcing me to restore. I lost all my photos and videos of my daughter's first year. Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Prior to this incident, how did you regularly sync/back up your data - via iTunes or was it iCloud?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately we hadn't since June 2012...itunes

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
So to confirm, this iPad had not been connected to the computer in over a year?

How did you do the update prior to the crash, was it done via iTunes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess so...iTunes on my iPad. Then after the update there was this cord looking thing that appeared on my iPad screen tellin me I needed to connect it to iTunes. So I did and it said I was in recovery mode. I googled a few things to get it out of recovery and tried them but it didn't worK. It was a series of holding the two buttons down, etc. Then I restored it from June 2012. BIG Mistake!

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
ITunes on the IPad does not do updates. There are two ways you may have updated, either connecting to your computer to let iTunes update the iPad or over the air directly from the device.

It sounds like you may have done an over the air upgrade?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes over the air

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok and you never had iCloud enabled previously?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software installation and updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No...never did icloud

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Lauren.

Sadly, you are in a bit of a pickle.

The iPad itself has no redundant back up systems of it's own. Apple provides the ability to sync and back up two ways, via iTunes or automatically via iCloud but those must be done prior to loss in order for them to be useful here.

One or the other should have been done prior to the update to safeguard against this issue and since you went ahead with the restore of June 2012 then if there was the slightest chance of recovering from the prior issue it's impossible to diagnose now as the restore process erased the iPad before it copied the June 2012 data back onto the device.

I realize this is not the answer you may wish to hear but I think it's best to give it to you straight and I realize this is a tragic loss of your photos. I can offer to show you how to enable iCloud backups for automatic safety in the future, however.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since you weren't able to help me do I get a refund. You didn't tell me anything that I didn't already google and find myself

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Lauren,

I'm not an employee of JustAnswer and I don't receive credit unless postively rated so I can not access your account nor do I know the amount of deposit you may have placed with them. You would have to contact them directly for any refunds.

However, I'm sorry you did not get the answer you hoped for but I'm happy to provide accurate, professional confirmation of the information you found. In my mind, this really is no different than googling the symptoms of a common cold and then going to the doctor where he confirms you indeed have a cold. You are paying for his time and expertise.

However, unlike a trip to the doctor, the choice to pay or seek a refund is up to you!

Register Here

Thanks, and good luck!