Robert, consultant
Experience:  many years in the computer consulting industry

How can I recover a sparsebundle file after it has been trashed,

Customer Question

How can I recover a sparsebundle file after it has been trashed, and the trash has been emptied?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

You can try this one to try

it has a free trial so you can see if it is there to recover. The longer something has been gone and the fuller your disk drive is the more likely that something has written over part or all of the file and it will not be recoverable at that point

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I attempted to use both Data Rescue 3, and Disk Warrior with no result. From my ongoing research about how the filesystem works, once the Trash is emptied, especially with an encrypted disk image, its gone.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
oh yes. I didn't realize it was encrypted. Once its out of the trash the normal os wont find it. Those utilities can look through the drive for things that have been deleted and forgotten by the os but haven't actually been written over yet. But with the drive encrypted they cant really read it to find them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, it seems that I answered my own question. Thanks.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

yes I am very sorry about that but you never told me the drive was encrypted.

recovering deleted files is never a sure thing because as far as the operating system is concerned they are gone. Its just that sometimes programs can take advantage of the fact that they don't actually delete them until they go to re use the space. But the encryption does what it is designed to do and wont let anything read the drive outside of the operating system with the right person logged in.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry that you feel I gave you poor service. Please tell me what you think I could have done better given that you deleted a file from your computer, removed it from the trash bin and were working on an encrypted drive ( which you neglected to tell me )

Thank you.