Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My macbook pro is also booting into a blu screen. I have reinstalled

Customer Question

My macbook pro is also booting into a blu screen. I have reinstalled the OS 2 days ago, things were fine, then last night it went nuts and all of today it will only boot into a blue screen or the grey screen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X is this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The version is 10.6.8. I did a few things yesterday, PRAM reset, did the /sbin/fsck -fy in terminal and rebooted into safe mode and shortly after i got a kernal panic when trying to restart using the apple symbol. I also looked in the log and there are many failures. I tried updating the software, it said i had 9 items but only 4 installed. It wont boot into blue anymore, now just the grey screen with no apple or wheel. however i can still boot into safe mode

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kendrick, Kernal Panic usually indicates the problems which are related to hardware. It might be the software too. This might sound redundant, but since you've tried almost everything, I want you to reinstall the Mac OS X AGAIN and then update to 10.6.8 using this Combo Updater : http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

Use Combo Update to update and don't use Apple Software update. Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The reinstall is not able to complete. It gets to the point of restart and then freezes on either a grey or blue screen after restarting. If I take the disc out and restart I can get safe mode to boot up. I have tried this 2 times. it is now over 10 minutes on the blue screen of the 2nd attempt.

Things of note:

date and time have reverted to 12/31/2000

Fans running at high speed

Just this morning battery was completely drained by sitting in safe mode in less than an hour

Cannot restart with OS disc and holding C key, just freezes at grey or blue screen

In safe mode: disc verified--appears ok

allot of permissions messed up, have done repair multiple times on the same permissions, they dont seem to be getting repaired

hardware test: appears hardware is ok

Also had a kernal panic last night:

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff8000233762): "bremfree: lost tail "@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/bsd/vfs/vfs_bio.c:1376

Debugger called:

Backtrace (cpu 4), Frame : Return Address

(lots of numbers)

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: mdworker

Mac OS version: 10K549

Kernal version:

Darwin Kernal Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root :xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64

System model name: MacBookPro8,2 (Mac-94245A3940C91C80)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 378358918458

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kendrick, I'm very sorry for the delayed response..had to go offline since it was very late in here. Since normal install doesn't work, I'd recommend to back up your important fils and then do a clean install.

To fix the fan issue, you can reset the SMC. See here : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

If it still not booting into the disc, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM, then try to boot into the disc.

Can you try that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try those soon. I had Sophos anti virus and Vlc player installed. I just took those off and now the reinstall is progressing. keeping fingers crossed

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Fingers crossed ! And, I'd recommend to backup all your important files ASAP.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

back to blue screen, reset PRAM and nothing new/better. since I am having trouble with the c key on start up how do I erase the hard drive to reinstall?

I am still able to boot into safe mode. I used the boot disc, clicked the utilities button, selected restart adn the screen freezes blue. It can't seem to get past the reboot.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard. From the startup screen, can you see the Cd icon ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done that and now it is reinstalling the OS again right now, I thought it would just reboot. I expect it to freeze again

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Wish you luck Kendrick :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no dice. after it installed the screen went black. I restarted and it is back to blue with no progression.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Have you did an erase and install ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am having trouble with the erasing. how do i do that with all thes issues? safe mode still works

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Backup all your important files. Then boot into the disc, goto Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk (main drive) and under Erase tab, click Erase. That should erase it. Did that work ?

Remember, this will wipe out the entire hard drive. You will not be able to safe boot unless your reinstall the OS X.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If the "C" key is not working to boot into the OS how do I get there, does the "option" key do the same or start an install?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Option key will boot into Startup manager. From start up manager, you can select the Mac OS X install disc to boot into it. C key is the shortcut to directly boot into the disc.

Or boot into Safe Mode, goto System Preferences > Startup Disk. Select Mac OS X Install disc in there and hit restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only way i can get past the blue screen is through safe mode. Any time I restart it goes to blue screen unless I press option or shift while booting up. I have also had 2 black screens in all this, where it just stops, black screen and fans on high.

al restarts without safe mode get stuck on the blue screen

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Eject the disc. Turn off your Mac for 10 minutes and also unplug the Magsafe. Then turn it back on and put the disc in. Then restart and and hold down Option key. Are you still getting the blue screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did that, restart without disc went to blue screen.

option key held selected install disc, yes booted to blue screen

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We need to boot into the disc, then only we can erase the HD. Boot into Safe Mode, goto System Preferences > Startup Disk. Select Mac OS X Install disc in there and hit restart. What happens ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Blue screen

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Lets create a new administraor account from Single User Mode and see if your Mac boot into that account.
  • Reboot your Mac
  • Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can't get past mount. mount_hfs: Permission denied

there is also Root device is mounted read-only

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like the partition (hfs) is corrupted. We need to trick your Mac to boot into the disc. Boot into Safe Mode and then put the Mac OS X installation disc. Does your Mac recognize it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to ask, do you have another Mac and Firewire cable ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it sees the disc and no on the cable

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open the disc and can you run the installer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can, I am at the utilities, is there something i should do at this point, it wants to reinstall the OS

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to erase the hard drive from Utilities > Disk Utility ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was able to erase the HD. It is installing right now

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Great ! Let it complete. Good Luck Kendrick.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kendrick, Just checking. Are you able to install it successfully ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Install finally completed, but inorder to get to the screens i have to go through safe mode. Anytime SM is not used there is a grey or blue screen. On the first restart after install the screen went black with large verticle dark blue lines (pretty). I then restarted and the same issue again, in SM i completed the install, restarted and it went blue. Then restarted again it went grey, then back in SM and the screen is now black, dont know if it is sleeping but it will not respond, just restarted into SM.

of note: the start chim has been getting quieter, dont know if it is related or a volume thing.

Are there some codes that i can look up that will tell us what is going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do we go from here?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay Kendrick. There are no codes, it seems like hardware related. Can you take out the RAM, clean them and put them back ? And also reset the SMC ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is a 2011 not sure if early or late model. not sure which are the RAM there are 2 chip boards in the center facing the battery. are those it, each has 4 blocks on it. also the SMC did not work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also i didnt mention it has had a few bumps in a verticle position in a backpack. hardware issue has been a worry

the blue screen also goes through 2 tones, a litter one then shifts to a darker one

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
This should help you : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270

It usually be the hard drive as bluescreen and gray screen occurs when the system can't read/write from/to the HDD properly. But since Safe Mode is working, it might be some other components too, like Logic Board and not with HDD. This is really a strange problem. We've tried all troubleshooting steps so far. I'm really sorry, but I'm out of ideas on this.

I'm really sorry that I couldn't solve your problem. Since I couldn't solve your problem, you can contact support@justanswer.com for refund or you can get full refund from here : http://www.justanswer.com/refund/refund-1-2/refund.aspx

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Kendrick+

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome Kendrick