Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

The tech I need must be an expert with webDAVs and OSX. QUESTION: My

The tech I need must be an expert with webDAVs and OSX.

QUESTION:

My webDAV server on my Mac laptop was running great, then after using Onyx to do routine maintenance tasks, which seemed to work fine, it now hangs my webDAV (and consequently my entire OSX OS) to the point of forced shutdown.

My webDAV share will still mount and unmount just fine, and I can go into the share and read my files via the "quick look " feature in Finder (I tap the spacebar to see a popup preview of the file contents without actually opening the file with a program). But when I try to actually OPEN any of the file types in my WebDAV, even a simple text file, it hangs. I have tried to use text edit, text wrangler, which both hang, but which work fine otherwise with any other files outside of my webdav, so it's not their issue.

Thanks- Roy
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Can you clarify your Web Dav server is the laptop or another computer? How are they connected? WiFi, Ethernet?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Mike, the webDAV is on my laptop. I only own one computer. I just mount it to use it and unmount it when finished.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
I don't understand why do you need WebDav if you are only accessing one computer? Where is the WebDav server?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The webDAV server is on my laptop. I need it to sync data with a special program on my iPhone. (It is a two way sync that works over wifi.) Something was changed somehow by ONYX while doing maintenance, and I need to change it back. Must be a webDAV permissions issue I'm guessing.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Try this: open terminal and paste this:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

hit Return then restart the computer and try again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I tried that already from a google search after I saw a DS_store writing error to that share in the error log. I tried to paste the error log here for you to read but it crashed this reply box.

How can I attach the text file of the error log for you to see? I only see an attach link for images.

Also, I just tried to mount the webDAV again and got a new error, please find the image attached. Never seen this before.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
What program is this on the iPhone?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Notebooks, but I don't believe the iphone app has anything to do with these issues.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Also please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Is it this software:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notebooks-write-notes-manage/id297571751?mt=8
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Depending on your system we need to check the disk and repair permissions. If you followed the defaults with Notebooks there should be a folder called Notebooks in Macintosh HD root directory, you should not have to "mount" anything... the WebDAV server is always running and it is sharing that folder out to your iPhone over WiFi, not the other way around. Maybe I am not understanding you exactly but if those files are corrupted it may have nothing to do with the WebDAV server. Waiting for your info.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Disk and permissions repair all fine, not the issue, first thing I tried.

Files not corrupted, I was able to READ them no problem with 'quick look' as stated earlier, not the issue it seems.

Defaults with Notebooks? I am syncing to my webDAV share created specifically on my laptop with Notebooks, which was working perfectly before ONYX screwed things up. I don't know what you mean by 'defaults' with Notebooks. There is no notebooks folder in my root directory. Is there another way to do a two-way sync with notebooks that I can access locally without a web browser? I need to be able to change files in both locations (laptop and iPhone), then have the updates sync properly, which is what the webDAV was doing perfectly.

My webdav mounts and unmounts, and it is the only way I can access it on my laptop. If I try to sync my notebooks to the unmounted webDAV, it gives an error. (How it worked when everything was working properly.) It would mount as a local share on my computer - localhost, as you can see in the previous pic.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

If you setup a WebDAV server on your laptop it is sharing a "real" folder on your laptop, which from the instructions for Notebooks would be created in the root directory when you first signed into your webdav account from the iPhone. The only reason you would have to "mount" a WebDAv share is if it were on a different serve outside your laptop. How did you setup the WebDAv server? I can't think of anything that Onyx would do that would change that.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Also what is listed on this screen on the iPhone next to Server? If it is not your laptop's IP address or domain (if you have set that up), then you are not running a server on the laptop. It is somewhere else like one of these sites listed here:

http://www.notebooksapp.com/ios/sync-webdav/

Let me know.

graphic

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

All I know is a followed instructions online here:

http://manas.tungare.name/blog/howto-setup-webdav-on-mac-os-x/

Everything was working perfectly, ran Onyx, webDAV started to hang and freeze my OS.

Notebooks has nothing to do with this. I cannot access my webDAV files any more from my computer. if I could read and write to my webDAV from my computer, I would not have a problem syncing with notebooks as everything was working perfectly before.

Your statement: The only reason you would have to "mount" a WebDAV share is if it were on a different serve outside your laptop." conflicts with this statement from Notebooks from your link:

"A WebDAV server basically is a web server that can be MOUNTED on your computer just like a folder or drive."

I think you are mistaken, and this is not helping at all. I am not asking for help syncing to Notebooks, I need to fix my broken webDAV server on my laptop. If you are not able to do so, please just let me know.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

That line assumes you are using a WebDAV server from that list not on the same computer.

Ok I see. I wasn't sure because you kept saying you were "mounting the share", which would not be necessary if it were running the server on the same computer. There is a folder on your computer that you are "sharing" it is just not in an obvious place.

You never told me what system version you are running so I can check... it is different for different systems. Those instructions are for Leopard 10.5, is that the system you are running?

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

If you ARE running 10.5 I suggest you repeat steps 6 and 7:

6 Setup permissions correctly.

sudo chown -R www:www /Library/WebServer/WebDAV
sudo chown -R www:www /usr/var
sudo chgrp www /usr/webdav.passwd

7 Restart Apache gracefully.

sudo apachectl graceful

The folder you are sharing is in Macintosh HD//Library/WebServer/WebDAV. Let me know.

FYI I was asking about the server info on the iPhone to tell me where it is, not that I thought there was a problem with it. Sorry for the confusion.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am running 10.8.4

This path is the correct path to my webdav.

//Library/WebServer/WebDAV

I can see all my webdav files and open them with textedit without an OS hang from this directory, but when I try to make a change, I get...

Also, my account is an administrator account.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
I am surprised those instructions worked for Mountain Lion. Did you run those steps again?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

not yet, question first:

when i open a new terminal window, I get...

Customeris the name of my home folder. L.E. Talcott is my account name (if it matters).

Should I run these instructions from the terminal default ofCustomer Or should I change it first, and if so, to what and how? Like the root of the drive perhaps?

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

No if that is your home folder then that is also your short admin user name and that is what it should display. I hate to say now, but after all this I think you would be better off getting the Mac OS Server software for $19.99 to configure WebDAV, I can't guarantee those instructions for Leopard are correct for Mountain Lion. Basically the server software is just a tool to configure Mountain Lion's server features which are already built in. It will do it all for you. You can try those steps first...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-server/id537441259?ls=1&mt=12

____

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just don't understand why it can't be fixed if it was working before perfectly, without having to buy and install ML server and be dependent on that app (which still does not guarantee that it will even work).

Can't we just change the permissions somehow since that is the error that pops up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just figured something out: I manually changed my webDAV folder's permissions and applied them to the sub-contents, and now I have read and write access. I didn't think I could do it this way, and was afraid to try, since everything before had been done via terminal and with the .conf files, but it seems to have worked. I am going to try and setup my notebooks sync again and see if it will work.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
The system runs maintenance on its own and that may change. I hope it doesn't but my recommendation is still the same. The location of those folders is not the same as it was in Leopard . Let me know. I am out for the evening.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, I bought ML server, installed it, but everything is still the same. What did you mean when you said, "It will do it all for you." It didn't do anything that I can tell.

Please advise.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
I meant no terminal commands, etc... of course you still have to learn to use it. You can turn on Sharing and share that same folder using WebDAV. You should make a User for yourself first. Pretty good tutorial here:

http://www.mountainlionserver.com

Here is my server your folder share and Users would be different of course:

graphic

What have you tried so far?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This is what I did. User already created automatically by Server app. Apache web server was already on and running. I added the Webdav to filesharing which I never had to do before with the old setup and allowed access by my user L.E. Talcott (Customer) with full permissions.

In Notebooks on the iPhone I have:

Server: http://mbp.local

Directory: /Library/WebServer/WebDAV

Username: Customer (also tried L.E. Talcott)

password: my OS X administrator account password

get error message: Sync failed. Unable to log in. Please check server address and login information.

I have tried both mbp.local and my IP address below.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Use the IP address and make that static in the System Preferences/ Network so it does't change, then try again after Repairing Permissions and restarting:
<br/Customer(exactly like that)
Password

If you don't need AFP, SMB or guest Acccess I would turn those off.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
On the MacBook if configured correctly you should be able to mount the share on the same machine as you did before using Go / Connect to Server

http://IP_ADDRESS/WebDAV, or http://mbp.local /WebDAV, put in your name and password XXXXX check remember. If it mounts you can create an Alias to mount it by double clicking on that for easy access. Let me know if you can connect with the iPhone too.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately I cannot mount the share at all. All I get is this.

Which keeps spinning...

Notebooks still cannot connect properly. Tried everything possible.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Start Open Directory, make a Master you will have to make a new password XXXXX the diradmin, then add a new test user and give it privleleges to the share and try mounting that one.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Bit over my head. Please walk me through. What do I select here?

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Sorry the one that is selected, new.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, here it is... now what should I do? Create a test user? please explain.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Click Setup it takes a bit of time
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, I did that already, and I got this result.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Ok go to Users and make a new Test User and assign it to the share. Try to mount it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It is taking forever. Still spinning two minutes later.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Ok I think the location of the WebDAV folder is the problem. I suggest you turn off File Sharing, make a new folder in yourCustomeruser folder and call it Notebooks. Then move everything from your WebDAV folder to that folder instead. Repair Permissions. Then make that a share and turn off sharing on the WebDav folder.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, did all that. It mounts under the IP, shows in "Shared" in the Finder Sidebar, and seems to be syncing properly with Notebooks. I am going to do some tests to make sure it performs properly. So far so good though. Keep you posted.Laughing

Some final questions:

do i have to leave the server app open all the time? or can I close it?

will the server app start up every time my machine restarts?

can i delete the weddav folder under file sharing?

should i delete the "Test" user? logged into the Notebooks share asCustomer/p>

should i disable open directory? what is that for?

Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Great!!

No it is just to configure it.

No

Yes

Yes

Mine would not creat new users without it configured and on but I had upgrade problems from Lion Server. You can try turning it off but if the plus sign under Users is grayed out after, you will have to turn it back on. It won't hurt anything or use up resources. Let me know

___

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, all good. Thanks for everything.

Btw, you told me to set my IP to static which I could only do this way. The fully "manual" way would not let me connect even though everything was the same as listed here. Is this alright?

Also, what happens when I leave my home network and go work at a coffee shop or library or somewhere else? Will I still be able to connect to the internet if I am using a static IP?

(FYI, I will not be syncing to my webdav at public hotspots, only at home. I just want to be able to connect to the internet at public hotspots without problem or hassle.)

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
That looks fine. In the Network Preferences Pane there is a place to make Locations at the top make that called Home and then make another for DHCP, the way you had it before then it is very easy to change it when you are out.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.