Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

just got my ipad mini. I had an apple id from using iTunes,

just got my ipad mini.
I had an apple id from using iTunes, which the ipad has & I've been waiting 20 min for an emailed response allowing me to set a new password
can you help me ?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

This is probably what has happened.
Your email that you have on record with Apple for this type of problem is either wrong or not receiving.
Have you looked in the junk or spam folder? It could have gone there. Just so you know we are not Apple support, we can help with most problems but this one is not something we can directly address.
I suggest using a computer with iTunes on it, sign into your iTunes account (if possible) and check the setting.
Failing that call 1-800-275-2273, there is a long recorded menu to get through but wait it out and you can resolve this that way.
Best I can do for you, sorry.