Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

John T. F. - I accidentally dropped all my (10000+) photos

John T. F. - I accidentally dropped all my (10000+) photos onto the desk top. Now, my desktop is taken up by these icons. And the computer is slow and the beach ball spins. I have tried to move them to another folder and then to trash them but i get the message "Some of the items you are moving are in use by another application. Moving the items can cause problems with the application using them. Are you sure you want to move these items?" What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information. Where are you trying to move your photos?

Customer:

Right now, I wanted to move them to a zip drive, but they landed on my desktop instead. Now my desktop is filled with IMG icons. I can not get them off.

Appleologist :

Ok so lets go ahead and move them to your zip drive. Before we do that, Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose force quit

Appleologist :

Which applications are listed?

Customer:

I have already forced quit. I restarted the commuter. The photos are still in Iphotos, but I have all these icons on my desktop. I really want to clean up this mess first. Please help.

Appleologist :

Ok the easiest way is to click on the desktop first, then press Command+ A OR click on Edit and choose select All from the top menu bar. This will select all of your photos from your desktop. Then drag and drop them onto your zip drive

Appleologist :

This may take some time to copy over

Appleologist :

Since you have restarted your computer, I am not sure if it is still an option. When you click on Edit, is Undo an option?

Customer:

Problem - not only do images get highlighted, but so do all other files and folders.

Customer:

Undo was not an option

Appleologist :

Thats ok, you can highlight everything and transfer it over. Its much easier to disregard some folders than 10,000 Photos. Roughly how many folders on on your desktop that you wish not to transfer over?

Customer:

Undo was not an option even before I restarted.

Customer:

I may not have enough memory on usb

Appleologist :

Do you have another external hard drive?

Customer:

No

Customer:

I have tried to go into finder desktop and just highlight images, and then transfer to usb.

Appleologist :

When you do that, what happens? Are you getting an error message?

Customer:

I will retry, please stay with me. My computer may freeze up. Do you have a phone number?

Appleologist :

I will stand by. We only have the option to chat. You can defiantly bookmark our chat incase it freezes. In Safaro. Click on Bookmark and then choose Add bookmark

Customer:

I am on Chrome

Appleologist :

Then click on the STAR at then end of the URL bar

Appleologist :

Or Choose Bookmark > bookmark this page

Customer:

No start

Customer:

No star

Customer:

Ok I see it

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

Ok I have them highlighted. Now what?

Appleologist :

Click and hold down on the highlighted items and then drag and drop them onto your USB drive

Customer:

Messgae: One or more items in “DSC00096.JPG” can’t be changed because they are in use.

Appleologist :

Do you have the option to continue?

Appleologist :

Does it ask you if you are sure you would like to move these items?

Customer:

Yes, conintue, skip, stop

Appleologist :

Click continue. You may need to keep hitting continue

Appleologist :

Try it 3 times, if not click on skip and it will skip that photo and try to transfer the rest

Customer:

It will not allow skip or continue

Appleologist :

Where did theses photos come from originally? Meaning if you were to delete them, can you transfer them back?

Customer:

No, they come from my iphoto app. If I delete, they are gone

Customer:

10,000=

Customer:

10,000+

Appleologist :

Is iphoto currently open?

Appleologist :

When you transfer items from iphoto, they should copy and not completely move from the iphoto library

Customer:

Now it is open

Customer:

What next?

Appleologist :

Can you scan through it to confirm if your originals are still there

Customer:

Yes,all are there. Butt, none of the icons on the desk top will open.

Appleologist :

So then you can delete the photos on the desktop. Whenever you move photos from iphoto, it always makes a copy and never transfers the original

Appleologist :

If you delete them, they are not gone forever unless you empty the trash.

Customer:

That's my problem. I want to delete all these icons, but I can not move them to trash.

Appleologist :

Ohh ok. Then do this. Select them all again by Pressing Command+ A. When they are all highlighted, Press Command+ Delete

Customer:

I have tried that.

Appleologist :

Are you getting an error message?

Appleologist :

If you are, you will need to delete them in sections. First, quit iphoto, then eject your flash drive

Customer:

My iphot0 app is no longer on dock.

Appleologist :

You may have removed it by accident. Open iphoto again. When it appears in your dock again, right click on the iphoto icon. Choose options and then choose keep in dock

Appleologist :

You can either right click or control Click

Customer:

The desktop is frozen up for the moment

Appleologist :

Is this after hitting command+ delete?

Appleologist :

Is your desktop still frozen?

Customer:

I am trying to delete 1000+ highlighted icons. Let's see if it works now

Appleologist :

OK. You can also Choose File<Move to trash if that makes it easier for you

Customer:

How mush time should it take?

Appleologist :

It can take anywhere from 10-30 mins. A progress bar should pop up

Customer:

No progress bar. I am not sure if they are being deleted

Appleologist :

Then try to delete using File< Move to trash option instead

Customer:

Message: Some of the items you are moving are in use by another application. Moving the items can cause problems with the application using them. Are you sure you want to move these items?

Appleologist :

Choose yes

Customer:

skip stop continue

Appleologist :

continue

Appleologist :

Are you trying all or some photos

Appleologist :

?

Customer:

It will not allow continue

Appleologist :

Try this instead. Highlight a section of your desktop by using your mouse to drag over a few pictures. This will highlight certain pictures. When they are highlighted, try to delete

Customer:

Very slow sorry

Appleologist :

No worries. Take your time

Customer:

Slowly working. Stay around please.

Appleologist :

I will not leave until your issue is resolve so no worries.

Customer:

It's working very slowly, but I still have to move photos to usb.

Customer:

Ok Let's finish up.

Appleologist :

Are they still on your desktop?

Appleologist :

It will need to finish deleting first

Appleologist :

Also, you mentioned you may not have enough space on your USB drive. How much space do you have available?

Appleologist :

To check how much space is available on your USB drive, select it and then choose File<Get info

Customer:

all clear. 29 GB

Customer:

Let's move those photos cleanly.

Appleologist :

Oh thats more than enough. The best option is to just move the single iphoto library folder. I am assuming you are moving your photos to back them up. Is that correct?

Appleologist :

This way you just need to move one individual folder that contains all of your pictures

Customer:

Yes, back up. Then I will delete some on laptop

Appleologist :

Ok lets roll. Open your finder window. Then choose pictures in the left column. You should see a single iphoto library with a flower icon next to it. That is the folder you will need to drag and drop into your external drive. Before you do that, select iphoto library and choose File<Get into. What is the size?

Customer:

All images?

Customer:

No flowers here

Appleologist :

No picture. Do you see your account name with a house icon next it instead?

Appleologist :

Then click on your home folder. It should have your account name with a house icon next to it

Customer:

Ok Iphoto library

Appleologist :

Now select it and choose File<get info

Customer:

There

Appleologist :

How large?

Customer:

Oops -36 gbs

Appleologist :

Hmmm your over. Is there anything on your external drive now?

Appleologist :

that you can delete?

Customer:

Should I make two folders at I photos - 1/2 and 1/2? Then export have- I have 2 32 GB usbs

Appleologist :

I would not recommend that, it can cause many issues with your iphoto library. Since iphoto saves pictures as an entire image, it makes it difficult to separate them. Is it possible to obtain a new external drive?

Customer:

That's what I will do. For now, I am satisfied that I have my desktop back in order. I would like to sign off Jacustomer. Thank you for your help. You've earned your $58 dollars.

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. I appreciate your patiences throughout. I am also confident you know how to navigate back to your iphoto library folder right?

Customer:

Yes. Have a nice day. Now I rate?

Appleologist :

Yes you do. Take care

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.