Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified

hello imac 27 screen turned black first time when trying to

imac 27 screen turned black first time when trying to open in full screan a youtube video, second time when I tryed opening a game, and today it opened initially but when trying to open browser it crashed again, now it turn black immedialtely after showing apple logo, could you help ? I bought this imac last year in may

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Try booting your iMac whilst holding the shift key down - this will allow it to do a Safe Start.

Let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've done many thing, erased hard drive, reinstalled osx mountain lion, still crashes

I tried starting it as you sayed, it appeared just a blue screnn with darker blue strips

Now it did start in safe mode

but begun having horizontal strips from time to time

can not acces parallel desktop in safe mode

what next ?

further more

opening safari it shows some black waves from bpttom to top, endless when trying to open new tab

Hi Marian,
You should not be seeing horizontal strips in safe mode - this indicates a hardware fault.
Under EU regulations, all items come with a standard 2 year warranty, and since you purchased the iMac in May last year, it still falls within the warranty period.
Therefore your best option is to return it to the store to have them repair or replace it under warranty for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in the warranty certificate it is written only one year

Hi Marian,

That is the standard Apple warranty certificate, however the EU area has an enhanced warranty cover for a minimum of 2 years that very few people actually know about, and it is useful in cases like this.

This is EU directive 1999/44/EC: "A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period."

Apple have acknowledged this law here:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is very useful, so I should go to the place i bought it ? because I am in romania, and I bought it from Hungary !

You will need to return it to the retalier if possible. Perhaps they have a branch or store in the country you are currently in. If that is not possible, then you can still take it to an Apple store and they will process the warranty for you.

Not everyone is aware of this law, but all shop managers should be.

If you meet any refusal, just give them a copy of the above law and they are obliged to assist you!

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so, finally tomorrow I'll put mac in it's case an bring it to iStyle shop in Debrecen, Hungary, where I bought it and they must solve the problem, it is the closest to me anyway. They should repair or replace the product ?

Hi Marian,

Under the warranty, they are obliged to repair it if possible, or offer a replacement if a repair is not possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much !

You're very welcome! I hope my information has helped save you a large repair bill!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found this written in the link you sent me:

In most EU member states, consumers may only claim for defects that were present on delivery.

Hi Marian,

What that means is that if the iMac contained parts which were not expected to last a normal lifetime (3+ years) then Apple is required to repair it - Apple will be able to confirm if the problem is indeed caused by defective parts or a system malfunction by testing the iMac.

If the problem has been caused by something that you done (e.g. deleting system files, or damaging it with a high voltage power surge) then this would of course not have been defective on delivery and would not be covered by the warranty.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got it now, first I will call them tomorrow and than take the mac to the iStyle shop .

Great help ! Good service, tks :)

You're welcome! :)

Please take a moment to click one of the ratings for my service.
If you have any difficulty clicking on the rating, just let me know.