Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Im having trouble with my home network. My Mac cant see

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with my home network. My Mac can't see my Windows machine and my Windows machine and see my Mac. Until a few days ago, they could both see my network printer. Now, they are both saying the printer is offline. I don't know if this is related to the network issue of not. I really need to have both of these machines visible to each other on my network and I really need my printer to work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please turn off your router and modem if they are separate and your printer and unplug from power for a few minutes. Then turn them back on and restart all the computers. Let me know after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already tried that. In fact, the issue with the printer began when I unplugged the network cable because I was trying to organize the "spaghetti bowl" of computer cable behind my desk. I'll try it again just to make sure I did it in the proper sequence.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK but make sure you unplug the printer from power also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This didn't work. I turned off the router, then the DSL modem. Waited a full 30 seconds. Plugged in the modem. Waited for correct lights to be flashing, plugged in the router, waited for appropriate lights to be flashing. Turned on both computers. Still can't see Mac from Windows 7 machine, can't see Windows machine from Mac. Printer is fixed. I discovered the hub was not plugged in.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to each machine and tell me its IP address
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike,

The Mac has the IP address 192.168.0.110. I'm attaching a pdf with the rest of the info.

Carol

Attachment: 2013-08-05_201714_confiwin_08-05-2013_4-10-16_pm.pdf

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that didn't work can you just paste it here please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I still can't get that can you send it here?

Go here with any web browser:

http://tinyurl.com/mikemacmedic

Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel. When it asks for a description put in your justanswer.com or pearl.com username. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm assuming you want me to do this on the Mac?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't matter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the uploaded files?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It looks like you have two DNS servers on the PC one is the router which I assume is 192.168.0.1 but you have another that is 192.168.1.254 which I don't think is right. Do you know how to delete that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I release it with an ipconfig/release? Would that work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that my machines are on different networks both called WalterHome?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No I'm saying the PC is setup with two DNS servers one is not correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't really know how to correct this problem. Can I just do a ipconfig/release and the DNS address I want to get rid of?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
First look in Control Panels / Network / Adapter Settings / iPv4 Properties and look at the DNS tab
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong place but I don't see an IPv4 properties. If I open the properties tab on the network connection and go to details I can see the two DNS ip's but there isn't a place to change them. If I open the properites tab on the network connection itself, there is a list of items which includes Internet Protocol version 4 but it's not a tab. I do have the option to configure it. I'm reticent to do that though because I'm afraid I might lose my entire network. I might have better luck doing this from my Mac, but I your messages don't appear correctly when I try to look at them there - using FireFox.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wait, I've gone over to the Mac and I've found your messages. Is there a way I can get rid of the ".254" DNS entry from the Mac?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No in that case the DHCP server is giving it out which does not seem right to me. Do you know how to configure the router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've got the router configuration utility open. I originally configured it. I'll have to look at the documentation to see how to configure it. This may be how I did this in the first place. Initially, when I had trouble with my network, (AT&T my ISP would periodically drop it and then it wouldn't connect) their support "techs" would have me build my network. This happened about three times until I told them that I had a home network and it was a real pain to have to rebuild it each time. I think that this happened in one of those rebuilds. Looking at the file I sent to you, 192.168.0.1 id the ip address listed for the Default Gateway, the DHCP server, and one of the two DNS servers. It is also the ip of the router. Does this make sense to you?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes that should be the DNS server too not 192.168.1.254
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. When I open the router config page, I see 102.168.0.1. There is nothing about the ".254" address. I'm wondering if I should do a ipconfig/release before I do this. The router appears to already be configured the way I want it to be.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
What model router is it? The router should have info under DHCP if you can take a screenshot and send it that would help:

On the Mac:
To take a screenshot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. To take a selective screenshot hold Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 4, you will see a crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go.

Go here with any web browser:

http://tinyurl.com/mikemacmedic

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
What are the options next to Internet Connection Type. Is the DSL just a modem with one ethernet cponnection? What model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is DSL.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I meant on the Cisco router next to Internet Connection Type there is a dropdown list what are the options there?

Also is the DSL modem just a box with one ethernet connector that is connected to the Cisco Router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have fixed the problem. I called Cisco this morning. They said the problem was .not the router config but they really couldn't help me solve the problem. The said they thought that it was a file sharing issue. I created a new account on my Windows 7 machine with a password. Now, I can connect to that user on my Windows machine. I am going to pay you for your time because you worked on it, but your solution was not correct. I just wanted to let you know that it wasn't the router config.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I suspected the DSL modem was also serving out DHCP info but I never heard back about the model or configuration. Ok thanks I appreciate your generosity..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I spoke too soon. While I can not see the directory on one of the Windows 7 machines from the Mac. I still can't see the Mac from the Windows machines. BTW, I went ahead and powered up one of the laptops that is running Windows XP. The network recognized it as soon as it came up. Is there a way that I can add the Mac to the Windows Workgroup? I think that might be the problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
On the Mac go to System Preferences / Sharing make sure File Sharing is checked then in Options make sure Share Files and Folders using SMB (Windows) is also checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did respond to your message about the DSL, by the way. It's just when we had been working on this for hours yesterday, I just couldn't do it anymore. I think I sent you a message saying that I was going to quit for the night. Then you weren't available this morning and I had to work away from my office until the last this afternoon, so I couldn't get back to you.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry all I see about the modem is where you say "It is DSL." ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh, I guess I don't understand what you're asking. The DSL modem has four lights. I can go under the desk and tell you what each one says it's doing if that will help. There is one that says Internet that doesn't flash until it's connected to either a computer or my router.

You're right. The router is set for automatic DHCP. I think that may be incorrect. At least, it used to have to be set to PPPoE. Do you thing that could be my problem?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my previous post about File Sharing on the Mac, you may have missed it?

If the DSL is not just a modem but actually a router/modem it may also be supplying that false IP number. If it was set to PPPoE before then yes it should be set to that
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didn't see your message about file sharing on the Mac. Can you tell me again? I paged back through and I still don't see it. The Cisco folks said that it as probably a file sharing issue. They asked me how many machines were on my network. When I told them, they said that if it was a router configuration issue the other machines wouldn't be talking to each other either. I also told them that it used to work. I don't recall reconfiguring the router when this first came up, but it was month ago. What happened was that I could see everything from everything. Then one day I got a message saying that my credentials were wrong. I tried several things to fix the problem. My windows machine didn't have a password XXXXX I put one on. It still didn't like it so I changed the name on the Windows machine to match what it was on the Mac. I think that really messed things up. I suspect that by changing the name I changed the CID. Once that was done, nothing worked. Now, I have a new Windows machine, so the old CID would no longer be valid. I was able to create a user on the Windows machine with a password, and I can see that users directory from the Mac. I still can't see the Mac from the Windows machine. When I run the command to show the network map, the Mac doesn't even appear.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You don't see this in our communication?

"On the Mac go to System Preferences / Sharing make sure File Sharing is checked then in Options make sure Share Files and Folders using SMB (Windows) is also checked."

Not sure what you mean by CID??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oops! CID is connection ID. I meant UID for user id. Since the Mac OS is basically a version of Linux, I thought that might be a problem. I've had situations where the user name didn't match with the numeric user id. That caused some major headaches for me in the past. You can't see it when it happens unless you check for it using something that shows you the numeric id.

File sharing, printer sharing, remote login, and blue tooth sharing are all checked. I don't see anything called options. Where do I find that?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.6.8

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
When you select File Sharing you don't see a window like this with an Options button on the right?

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now, I see it. I had to unclick File Sharing then click it again to make it show up.

Okay, the SMB option was not selected and neither was one of the accounts.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks. Checking the box does not actually select it you have to click on the words.