Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

5th generation ipod will not start screen stays black

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 8 months ago.
Hi

Which iPod is it? iPod classic/touch/nano?

If you are not sure, please take a look at the following website and let me know

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.

I am not sure whether you have tried a reset. So let's do that first.

Press and hold the power button (at the top right) and the home button (the round button below the screen) together for 10-40 sec. You should get an apple logo.

If you don't, let's connect the ipod to the charger and wait for 10 minutes. Then try the reset again by pressing and hold the power button (at the top right) and the home button (the round button below the screen) together for 10-40 sec.

Let me know whether this resolves your issue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

it is not charging

How long have you been facing this issue?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

about 1 week

Then it could be a hardware problem...:(

It can be with the ipod itself or with the charging cable.

Let's try it this way. Let the ipod be connected to the charger for 10-15 minutes. After that, try a reset by pressing and holding the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

If that does not work, repeat the above procedure with a different USB cable, if you have any.

If that too does not work, I am sorry to say, but I would like to be honest with you. It is a hardware damage and you would need to get it replaced. You can either take it into any apple store nearby or call the apple care to set up the replacement/repair. If your ipod is under warranty, you should get a free replacement provided there is no water/physical damage.
The apple care phone number would be 1-800-2752273

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find any difficulty.

Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hello your answer although appropriate did not work. You answers were excellent and honest. I just did not realize that the $38 was for a trial. I just wanted to get an answer period. I did let your service know that I am not interested in your service trial or otherwise. But I have no issues a oabout your answers. C Sarraga

Hello

I am really sorry that the answers did not work...:(

Unfortunately, we can only help you with any software issues, but the hardware issues have to go through Apple or any third party repair centers.

Also, I don't know how our trial system works. I am just an expert giving answers, but not sure of how the payment thing work.

For those issues, you need to contact our customer service, XXXXXXX@XXXXXXXXXX.XXX or call 1.888.862.9212 between 6AM and 6PM PST.

Thank You
Vinod