Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have an old Mac Mini running system 10.4.11. I am trying

I have an old Mac Mini running system 10.4.11.
I am trying to save its data, prior to wiping and reinstalling the system, but I would like to get a few things taken off of it before then.
I would like to know where to get
1. the file that saves the browser history
2. the files for the Adobe Shockwave and Unity current version, so that I hopefully don't have to reinstall them
3. the system updates, since my original system disc starts at 10.4.2

Can someone tell me where these files are on my computer and whether it is possible to take them separately from the application and reinstall them cleanly after a wipe?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I'd recommend to back up your entire Home folder (user account folder) if possible. So that, you can restore all the settings, files, documents etc back to your Mac after a clean install. Your home folder doesn't include the system files or applications. It just have the application settings, documents, preferences etc

If you only want to save the Safari history, then you have to backup the com.apple.safari.plist, history.plist files etc

Open Macintosh HD, open Users folder. Open your home folder. Open Library folder. Backup the entire Safari folder. The folder contains the history, bookmarks etc

Then open the Preferences folder and backup the file named com.apple.safari.plist too. This is the configuration of your Safari application.

For applications (i.e 2 and 3), unfortunately you will have to reinstall them. You can't backup installed applications.

You can't also backup your Updates. You have to redownload them as well. You can download and install the 10.4.11 Combo Update from below links (download the correct one for your Mac);

Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update for Intel : http://support.apple.com/kb/dl172
Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update for PPC : http://support.apple.com/kb/dl170

If you've any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,