Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi, I am trying without luck to run ddrescue on a mac to make

Hi, I am trying without luck to run ddrescue on a mac to make a bit by bit copy of a pc hard drive to a pc external 1 TB disk, both hooked up by USB. The 1TB disk is new, it has a couple of files on it that I threw into the trash.

I can't find a clear example of how to execute the command. I installed X file (or whatever), installed ddrescue via macport, and have tried a lot of commands using Terminal. But, I just don't quite understand the commands or syntax. I think I got close below, but I'm not really sure and don't want to erase my Mac hard drive. I've pasted some of what I've done below, and I believe the most relevant lines are at the bottom. But I couldn't paste the whole log

Please advise. I also need to try to do this within a few hours, so I need to set a limit on retries per bit... So, I think I need to use the forced command (somehow) and limit retries.
--

Roxannes-MacBook-Air:~ X$ ddrescue -r=1 -n -S /dev/disk2 /dev/disk1 recovery.log
ddrescue: Bad or missing numerical argument.
Try 'ddrescue --help' for more information.
Roxannes-MacBook-Air:~ X$ ddrescue -r 3 -n -S /dev/disk2 /dev/disk1 recovery.log
ddrescue: Output file exists and is not a regular file.
ddrescue: Use '--force' if you really want to overwrite it, but be
aware that all existing data in the output file will be lost.
Roxannes-MacBook-Air:~ X$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 499.4 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: Windows_NTFS TOSHIBA EXT 1.0 TB disk1s1
/dev/disk2
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk2
1: 0xDE 41.1 MB disk2s1
2: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 104.9 MB disk2s2
3: Windows_NTFS 319.9 GB disk2s3
Roxannes-MacBook-Air:~ X$ ddrescue -r 1 -n -S /dev/disk2 /dev/disk1 recovery.log
Roxannes-MacBook-Air:~ X$
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Has the drive you are trying to clone been checked? Have you tried Paragon:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/download.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I installed tuxera.. a friend suggested i make a bootable ubuntu flash disk to bypass the ntfs issues. But, even if I do that, I'm sitll not sure what command to use... Also, it looks like i should use rdisk rather than disk...

I can download the trial of paragon if you think it will help...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I believe if you use the Paragon software you can mount the disks on the desktop and copy them with any mac cloning software or even Disk Utility, but I have not tried that personally. It would be a lot easier if you had Parallels or VMWare fusion installed. I assume you don't have access to any PCs?

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Paragon did the trick! PCs would not see the data structure -- IT couldn't do anything with it, nor MicroCenter. But by using the Mac, Paragon seemed to magically fix the file structure. I was able to copy all the data I wanted except for 3 or 4 glitchy files.

Tuxera eventually gave me a glimpse of the disk, but slooooooowwwwwwwww and incomplete.

THANKS!